Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not all "kongs "... Stupid autocorrect
I just boght a kong "genius" toy at petsmart and it started breaking apart in the first five minutes. This is one of the weakest rubber toys I've found. I assumed this would hold up like the classic kongs. I assumed wrong. I got it away from my dog before he swallowed any big chunks. By the review on amazon more the a few dogs have had to have this surgically removed.

I know it's been asked before but what toys are good or bad for heavy chewers

My experience
Good
Kong classic
Nylabone
Squirl dude
Kong wobble
Length of old garden hose ( this is awesome)
Iq treat ball
Dunlop practice tennis balls

Mediocre
Stuffing less plush toys
Basketball

Bad
Stuffed toys in general
Kong genius
Target brand rubber bone
Tuffy stuffed toys ( didnt last very long but it was very fun while it lasted)
Soccer ball
Pet tennis balls

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Dude, that auto-correct is totally amusing.

I'm doing a copy/paste and the ones I have tried and have an opinion on, highlighted in bold:

My experience
Good
Kong classic---I use the black extra strong Kong classic
Nylabone -- agreed on durable, but a lot of dogs seem uninterested
Squirl dude
Kong wobble
Length of old garden hose ( this is awesome)
Iq treat ball
Dunlop practice tennis balls -disagreed on any brand of actual tennis balls. I pick the leftovers from the courts after I play, but none of them are durable. Free though which makes up for it when supervised

Mediocre
Stuffing less plush toys I have yet to find a plush or fabric toy of ANY brand or type that holds up to even half an effort from a big dog or a strong chewer.
Basketball

Bad
Stuffed toys in general
Kong genius
Target brand rubber bone
Tuffy stuffed toys ( didnt last very long but it was very fun while it lasted)
Soccer ball
Pet tennis balls-- I find the "TUFF" brand ones to actually be much tougher than sport tennis balls. Plus, they make a large size that is great for large/giant dogs not to be able to get completely into their mouths.

KONG brand squeaker "football" is a durable fetch toy; not meant as a chew toy but much stronger than the average squeaker and great for supervised fetch and play. The same with the KONG frisbee- its not a chew toy but it doesn't destroy easily either IMO.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thanks for the list! Our dog, Buttercup, is the first hardcore chewer we've had so far and I was wondering which toys would be best. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
My adult lab has super teeth I swear! We have tried every 'extreme chewer' Kong on the market and even the hugest one is torn apart within 15 minutes. Nylabones too...it's frustrating at times.

I'm beginning to wonder if dog chew toys come in cast iron.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I run a boarding kennel and provide all the dogs with a short length of high pressure plastic water pipe. I find they love lying on their beds chewing the ends for ages. Also good for cleaning their teeth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts