Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not all dogs were made to handle the cold...do you put a jacket on your dog in the winter?
I do. We have a Jack Russell Terrier mix (she also has Chihuahua in her and we think lab) who can't go outside when its chilly (and really can't go out when its cold) with out Shivering so hard. she has the Chi coat and she just freezes. so even though she is 22 pounds I put her in a sweater for walks in the winter. Just to go to the bathroom I dont' bother. But for our walks I feel its necisarry.

Here is a Picture: (this is her trying on and modeling her new sweater for the coming winter)

And here is Zack's picture in his new winter outfit (he needs a haircut, gets one next week)

So the question is:

Do you bundle your dogs up in the winter to protect them from the elements

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Beau has one, but rarely wears it. Rose just prefers to go in and out really fast. Trey loves the snow, though (duh, he's a Sheltie!) Even though the papillons have long hair, they don't have an undercoat so they do get cold pretty easy. Our old pap, Harry, used to poke his head in the snow, though. It was his favorite thing!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We put it on them for our walks...we take an hour long walk every day sometimes we walk longer because we go down to the trail which is 2 miles long so we feel she needs the extra warmth for that. Pottying I just let them in and out real quick. (My Sasha has to have a walk daily, though its against her will, If we didn't walk her daily she would become obese very quickly)

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Yep, Dakota has a sweatshirt:

and a fleece jacket:

She really wouldn't be able to play in the snow as much if she didn't wear her coats. It just gets too cold for her short haired body :p

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Just the little one. She gets that Michelin Man snowball cling thing going on. The others are mighty hardy winter breeds... Just like me :D...

ETA: Picture, I knew I had a picture...

·
Registered
932 Posts
My dogs don't... often.. I don't get too excited about owning a dog who can't be outside without a coat...
But my dogs do have booties, because Fang got frostbite last year, and holy ice chunks.
They do wear the sweater after a winter bath...

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
my dog has an electric blanket that he sleeps on during the winter, or he lays in front of the fire. when we go out we have to put a jacket on him, but even then he starts to wimper and shiver after a while because his feet and legs get cold. and no, he won't wear booties lol

·
Registered
332 Posts
I always hated the idea of dressing dogs up and I swore I'd never do it. But, Bartleby really cannot stand cold temperatures. He shivers like crazy, so we've started buying him sweaters. Here he is in his UK hoodie:

:D

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
My dogs each have a few jackets. I only put them on when we are going out in the woods or snowshoeing or something. Just for quick potty trips they just sort of tough it out. :)

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
My dogs each have a few jackets. I only put them on when we are going out in the woods or snowshoeing or something. Just for quick potty trips they just sort of tough it out. :)
Same :). I only have Dakota wear her stuff when I know we are going to be out for a prolonged period of time...otherwise she is fine and prefers to have them off anyway.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Last year I bought Alki a coat for long walks in the rain. She doesn't care about getting wet, but I don't want a stinky dog for the rest of the evening, and I was worried about her getting chilled since she survived cancer last year.

This coat was made in Portland, OR by a little company called Doodlebug Duds and they make awesome little coats. It's nylon on the outside and fleece on the inside, with velcro closures, reflective strips, and a little collar that flips up - it's nicer than MY coat!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I do if she's cut short. What I really want to get for the winter is this garment that covers the legs and belly so that the snow doesn't stick to the fur. It's so hard to get it off. I should have bought it when I saw it....would be good in the rain.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Oh ya my roxy (rat terrier) shivers like crazy so she is always in a sweater. Even in the house and she loves them! Sometimes we put Max (shitzu) on one just because he looks so dang cute in it!

(and I use to say people who dressed their dogs were so funny!)

·
Registered
707 Posts
Cooper (Boxer) definitely gets cold and needs a little extra warmth when we go for long walks in the winter. I have a great jacket for him that has a fleecy liner and a water/wind proof outer liner. He actually likes to wear it, and it is a "tough" looking camo material. :)

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I *love* the Doodlebug Duds- I saw them last year when I came up to Oregon for the Rose City cluster and wish I'd bought one for Lizzie. She doesn't get cold, but that's actually the problem- she LOVES the rain and muck that we get here instead of snow and will come in filthy and soaking wet. Ugh.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Alaska...of course.

This is one of her many coats...she's got a lot others and this was when she was much younger.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts