Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Converge here! Got one? Love them? Lets talk Elkhounds!

I'm new, and we have an adult Norwegian Elkhound shelter rescue (best guess is he is at least 5 years old) and have never met another in person. The closest we've come is seeing another being walked as we drove by, and I hung out the window like a crazy to see the dog.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I believe I'm the only one on these boards with one. He's almost a year and half now, and a serious nutcase. He's of the 15 mile a day super high energy variety of elkhound you hear about on occasion. Here's a few pics:

I love Rocky to death, but I don't know if I'd ever get another elkhound, or any hound for that matter. The nose plus the stubborn streak can be a bit much from time to time.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only other one? I wonder how it's so hard to track Elkhound owners down.

Introducing District Attorney Jack McCoy (though, Jack will do just fine):

(very first photo of him at the shelter the first time we met him)

I think in the future I'll always have an elkhound member of my family. They're so beautiful and fun, and he's probably the best behaved dog (save for his prey drive sometimes, and his constant barking). I'm used to the houndness. We have three.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
What a looker!

It looks like in the pictures he does the same ear turn as Rocky is constantly doing. When he gets really happy his ears go flat back on his skull, it's really a hilarious face.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I am not an Elkhound person but I have known a few and I think they are absolutely beautiful dogs. We (my ex and I) knew a guy that took his Elkhound to the race tracks each weekend and the dog always played with our Rottweiler at night after the races. It was such a funny dog. Had the greatest personality.
Both or your dogs are beautiful as well. That is just such an amazing coat this breed has.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I had an Elkhound for 5 1/2 glorious years. I got him while I lived in Canberra, Australia and he came from Perth. I ended up coming home and bringing him with me (cost me more to ship him than to ship myself).

My ex- and I chose an elkhound as we had heard they were independent and cat-like; we both worked 8-12 hours a day and needed a dog that would be ok on his own. This proved to be true with my elkie.

Unfortunately he died at 5 1/2 from Pancreatic Cancer.

My boy was a lazy bum of a dog, and was my first dog. I wish I knew about dogs then what I know now. He was DA because he wasn't socialized and was scared of other dogs.

He was a barker - my father visited in Australia and got barked at for 5 days straight.

He was my safety net - people thought he looked like a wolf and wouldn't come near our yard (woof!). He was a better judge of people than I can even begin to imagine - if he didn't like someone there was a damn good reason for it.

He was a runner - if you dropped the leash for even a second you had to get the car to catch him - and that only worked because he loved the car and would come zooming into it no matter what.

House-trained himself and could "hold it" for up to 3 days without batting an eyelash. He was a lap-sitter too. If I sat down where he could get his butt in my lap, I had a lap-full of elkhound.

Did I mention the best tail ever?

He was the least motivated dog I've ever known. He didn't care for praise, he didn't care for food, he didn't care for toys. That he was a complete angel was purely temperament and no training because I was never able to identify anything that would motivate him. Oh, he learned plenty becuase he wanted to - but when you asked him to do something you could literally watch the gears grind and him think about if it was a good idea.

Good memories - I hope to again own an Elkhound in my future, and I know a lot more this time about the breed and how to approach training.

Oh, and I'm sure that at some point he did something "bad", but I can't for the life of me remember what that could possibly have been. He was perfect. ;)

·
Registered
467 Posts
I love the name! (Def. a Law & Order fan here, and I particularly like Jack McCoy)

We learned about the Norwegian Elkhound when we ran across a representative from the East Tennessee rescue group. Beautiful dog.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
What a looker!

It looks like in the pictures he does the same ear turn as Rocky is constantly doing. When he gets really happy his ears go flat back on his skull, it's really a hilarious face.
It's funny, with every elkhound owner I talk to online and describe something Jack does, they know exactly what I'm talking about. After Jack gets to tear around the yard catching balls, especially in the winter, he'll be so happy his ears will press flat on his skull and he'll have a big dumb smiling face going.

Does Rocky do that funny low pitched "ooooohhhhooo" growl/howl? Jack does it in response to treats, us coming home, or when I get out the nail dremmel.

I had an Elkhound for 5 1/2 glorious years. I got him while I lived in Canberra, Australia and he came from Perth. I ended up coming home and bringing him with me (cost me more to ship him than to ship myself).

My ex- and I chose an elkhound as we had heard they were independent and cat-like; we both worked 8-12 hours a day and needed a dog that would be ok on his own. This proved to be true with my elkie.

Unfortunately he died at 5 1/2 from Pancreatic Cancer.

My boy was a lazy bum of a dog, and was my first dog. I wish I knew about dogs then what I know now. He was DA because he wasn't socialized and was scared of other dogs.

He was a barker - my father visited in Australia and got barked at for 5 days straight.

He was my safety net - people thought he looked like a wolf and wouldn't come near our yard (woof!). He was a better judge of people than I can even begin to imagine - if he didn't like someone there was a damn good reason for it.

He was a runner - if you dropped the leash for even a second you had to get the car to catch him - and that only worked because he loved the car and would come zooming into it no matter what.

House-trained himself and could "hold it" for up to 3 days without batting an eyelash. He was a lap-sitter too. If I sat down where he could get his butt in my lap, I had a lap-full of elkhound.

Did I mention the best tail ever?

He was the least motivated dog I've ever known. He didn't care for praise, he didn't care for food, he didn't care for toys. That he was a complete angel was purely temperament and no training because I was never able to identify anything that would motivate him. Oh, he learned plenty becuase he wanted to - but when you asked him to do something you could literally watch the gears grind and him think about if it was a good idea.

Good memories - I hope to again own an Elkhound in my future, and I know a lot more this time about the breed and how to approach training.

Oh, and I'm sure that at some point he did something "bad", but I can't for the life of me remember what that could possibly have been. He was perfect. ;)
I'm sorry you lost him so soon. I'm glad that other people have enjoyed the breed, though, because like I said, I rarely meet owners (and just online). My boyfriend saw him on Petfinder when we were searching for a second dog, and had never heard of the breed. I knew some about them, and was hesitant to even go meet him. My boyfriend made me go and was in love immediately. I still wasn't sure we should even adopt him, because he seemed so disconnected and uninterested in us. He broke me down, and man, I feel guilty when I think about now how I almost didn't bring him home.

Your guy sounded just like Jack. He barks at anyone and everyone who comes in the door, and it's very self-serving. We're working daily to stop him, but he gives us a look like "Hey, this is what I do." Once he got away from us and just ran and ran before finding a place to pee and heading back to the house all on his own. Forget it if he sees a small animal he can chase. He lived outside in a shelter for almost a year and he's never gone in the house once. Even when I got into an accident and they were left alone for 18 hours, Jack was the only one of my three that hadn't gone in the house.

Funny mistaken wolf story. Our neighbors, without ever having spoken to us or ever seen an Elkhound before, were convinced he was a wolf hybrid and called animal control. When they showed up at our house they just laughed and laughed.

I am not an Elkhound person but I have known a few and I think they are absolutely beautiful dogs. We (my ex and I) new a guy that took his Elkhound to the race tracks each weekend and the dog always played with our Rottweiler at night after the races. It was such a funny dog. Had the greatest personality.
Both or your dogs are beautiful as well. That is just such an amazing coat this breed has.
I wasn't much of an Elkhound person before we got him, either. For such a beautiful coat his grooming is so easily maintainable, which I didn't see coming at all. I brush him once a day, and blow his coat out every so often.

I love the name! (Def. a Law & Order fan here, and I particularly like Jack McCoy)

We learned about the Norwegian Elkhound when we ran across a representative from the East Tennessee rescue group. Beautiful dog.
I'm a big law and order buff, and I thought he looked very dignified and deserved the name. :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Elkhounds are an incredibly special breed. They can be so difficult to find. I take Elka to the dog park here a few times a week (nice and early when it's quiet there, only a few dogs and usually the same ones) and we've never seen anything coming even close to a possible elkhound mix.

I definitely want another, but I still have some lingering concerns about if I'd be trying to "replace" my angel. A total impossibility, he was my first dog, he's on a pedestal no other dog can possibly attain.

With all that said, I would never recommend an elkhound as a dog for the first-time owner any more than I'd recommend any northern breed. They can be a handful and were bred to think independently. Still, they're easily the tops on my "favorite breed" list, and if it weren't for the Tamaskans I'm eye'ing, I might already have another elkhound.

Just got to be ready though. =)

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Elkhounds are an incredibly special breed. They can be so difficult to find. I take Elka to the dog park here a few times a week (nice and early when it's quiet there, only a few dogs and usually the same ones) and we've never seen anything coming even close to a possible elkhound mix.

I definitely want another, but I still have some lingering concerns about if I'd be trying to "replace" my angel. A total impossibility, he was my first dog, he's on a pedestal no other dog can possibly attain.

With all that said, I would never recommend an elkhound as a dog for the first-time owner any more than I'd recommend any northern breed. They can be a handful and were bred to think independently. Still, they're easily the tops on my "favorite breed" list, and if it weren't for the Tamaskans I'm eye'ing, I might already have another elkhound.

Just got to be ready though. =)
I met a 12 week old puppy one time now that I think about it, and the lady informed me she had to go to Kentucky to find her (we live in Michigan) and was really surprised we found him in a shelter in a small town. And surprisingly enough the rescue I foster for had TWO at one point. Other than that, no elkies around here, and most people don't even know what he is. We get a lot of "Is that a German Shepherd?" (Major laughs there) or "What is he mixed with?"

I'm just lucky I didn't raise him from a pup. I got to skip out on the majority of his energy, that's not to stay we still don't have to go on two mile runs every day and tear around the yard. :p I'd really like to keep Elkies in my family, even though initially I never really took notice of Northern breeds. I'm very high energy and need a crazy man in my life. It's funny how I'm a big dog girl (IWHs are what I'm used to/really love) said I would have one once I bought a house. Now I live with three dogs, none over 50 lbs. :p

·
Registered
374 Posts
Elkhound puppies... what is there to say? That pedestal again. Mine loved my ex's shoes and we never did a thing to discourage him. He'd just bury his nose right on in. He gave that up on his own, for no reason we could ever discern. We never told him no, we never put them away - he just decided one day that shoes were off the list of chewables.

When I brought him home from Australia we moved into my parent's 2 bedroom condo. They quickly decided that a dog needed a yard to run in. The solution? Buy a house. He worked his way into the heart of anyone that met him, and turned my staunchly anti-dog father into a dog lover.

Here is his last winter with me, enjoying the yard that we bought for him:

And some attached puppy pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I grew up right next to a neighbor with 5 elkhounds. They were pretty cool dogs. They were all well behaved, though they could only walk them 3 at a time.

Based on Trumpet's stories I wonder how they managed 5!

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I grew up right next to a neighbor with 5 elkhounds. They were pretty cool dogs. They were all well behaved, though they could only walk them 3 at a time.

Good lord, 5! I can't imagine. I can't even walk my three guys at the same time and only ONE is an Elkhound.

Elkhound puppies... what is there to say? That pedestal again. Mine loved my ex's shoes and we never did a thing to discourage him. He'd just bury his nose right on in. He gave that up on his own, for no reason we could ever discern. We never told him no, we never put them away - he just decided one day that shoes were off the list of chewables.

When I brought him home from Australia we moved into my parent's 2 bedroom condo. They quickly decided that a dog needed a yard to run in. The solution? Buy a house. He worked his way into the heart of anyone that met him, and turned my staunchly anti-dog father into a dog lover.

Here is his last winter with me, enjoying the yard that we bought for him:

And some attached puppy pictures.
Oh, he was beautiful. Elkhounds do have a way of turning people around, and I like to think it must be the whole breed. Our old neighbor was terrified of dogs, saw him and said "NO he looks like a WOLF!" but shortly later was bringing him boiled chicken and other treats.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts

Yeah.... I wouldn't ever own 5. Jeez.

Every elkhound owner I've met has claimed theirs to be a lot more mellow than Rocky, so maybe I just got a high energy nutcase, and it's not typical. Who knows?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also have an Elkhound, I don't really post though hehe.

Loki, turning 10 months on the 25th

This one is of him and my sisters dog, a little Jack Russell Boston Terrier mix.

Loki is a handful, but he goes right to sleep after a 2-3 hour walk. His barking isn't too excessive, but he'll just grab food or whatever else off of a counter and runaway.

But he's still awesome.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Yes! Three internet Elkhounds. Loki is beautiful. All of the Elkies posted dwarf mine. He's a small guy for the breed.
How much does yours weigh? He's definitely not on the chunky side (like I see so many elkhounds unfortunately), so I would imagine he's probably a bit small.

Rocky does a lot of physical work and his muscle mass is very high, so he actually weighs just below the breed standard maximum, while being well below the height restriction. It's amazing how much weight such a small dog can have. I would never guess by just looking at him that he weighs 53 pounds.

Obligatory puppy pics:

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How much does yours weigh? He's definitely not on the chunky side (like I see so many elkhounds unfortunately), so I would imagine he's probably a bit small.

Rocky does a lot of physical work and his muscle mass is very high, so he actually weighs just below the breed standard maximum, while being well below the height restriction. It's amazing how much weight such a small dog can have. I would never guess by just looking at him that he weighs 53 pounds.

Obligatory puppy pics:

Oh god, cute puppy pictures. My head exploded into candy.

Jack McCoy typically tips the scales at about 45 lbs. He doesn't quite have the mane around his neck going on. We tried every thing to put some weight on him, and we succeeded some (He weighed 35 lbs when we got him!) but the vet says a combination of his age and poor nutrition his whole life probably kept him in a lower weight range.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Last time we weighed Loki was about 2 months ago and he was 58lbs before getting neutered. The Vet said he would probably gain a bit more weight after. He's been getting more exercise since then, so maybe he's maintained, or even lost weight. If I remember correctly he was around 23-24inches from the floor to his shoulder area.

I bought him a sled harness and I've been getting him to pull me on my skateboard hehe. Going to try and teach him to track this summer I think.

1 - 20 of 183 Posts