Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend has a 7 month old Elkhound pup named Odin. He has been potty trained fairly well however he still is incredibly bad with excited peeing. I have heard it called submissive peeing as well. Either name, whenever he gets excited in the slightest he basically just starts dribbling sometimes more than others. This is really frustrating for the carpet and other obvious reasons. I have read all the things about about how when you come home you should just ignore him and all that, but that doesn't do anything. The minute he sees me or my girlfriend or any new person walk in or close he just starts leaking while getting excited.

For any other Elkhound owners out there, is this common? Does it eventually stop? Is there anything that can be done?

heres a pic of him to help you out :)

Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Many times, puppies grow out of this. It has nothing to do with potty training. It's just that the puppy/dog loses control of their bladder when nervous or excited.

My mini dachshund did that when he was younger, especially around my father. Any time we go to visit, even now (Harper is 3) he will pee when he sees my dad. He loves my dad and has to follow him around during our entire visit, but when he first greets him, he will always pee.
So, now, when we get to my parents' house, we go straight outside and have them say hello to each other outside!

I would suggest that you determine the "triggers". For instance, when you or your girlfriend first come home don't look at him, don't say anything to him, just immediately take him outsdie. We did that with Harper and Abby when they were younger, I would come in the front door, and immediately walk straight through to the back door to let them out.
And, when new people come to visit, try to have them greet the puppy outside. Also, have them ignore him, as you've heard, until the dog is a bit more calm.

Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts