Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting a new puppy, and have been considering Canaans, Wolf Hybrids, King Shepherds, Malamutes and Norwegian Elkhounds. Based on size and temprament common in Elkhounds,and their role as a hunting dog, at this point it is my favorite choice. I have done hours of research trying to find an effective diet for this dog, but all the information I can gather is "a strict diet with natural ingredients". This doesn't help me at all. Can anyone with experience in this matter give me an idea on which 'natural ingredients' I should use, and supplements, if any? I understand Elkhounds can become obese if diet and exercise aren't monitored but I live a very active outdoors lifestyle, I just need a boost on what to feed a puppy, adolescent and adult.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
There are two routes you can take.

1. Kibble. Generally the most popular diet because of the convenience. There are several high-quality brands of kibble out there. Innova, Solid Gold, Wellness, Blue Buffalo, Orijen, Taste of the Wild, Fish4Dogs, Timberwolf... the list goes on and on. http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com will give you a longer list of premium kibble brands. http://www.dogfoodproject.com will help you learn how and why to identify a good kibble... I strongly recommend dogfoodproject.com, it's a great resource.

2. Raw feeding or homemade food. A raw diet is one made up solely of raw meat, bones and organs... homemade food is almost the same thing, but the food is cooked and there are no bones. I can't tell you much about homemade because I've never fed it, but I do feed raw and I think this is the best thing you can feed your dog. Both raw and homecooked diets require a LOT of research; you are basically in total control of your dog's nutritional requirements, so you do need to make sure your dog is getting the right amounts of different minerals and nutrients... not too much and not too little. If you're interested in this, check out the stickies in the food forum. There is a lot of reading to be done before you can design a healthy raw diet.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Well, our Elkhound eats Orijen and with Perfect Form supplement from the honest kitchen. He's extremely active and with a higher quality dog food and a strict feeding schedule, he does not over eat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts