Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am a new dog owner and i recently purchased a Male Norrbottenspets from canada. he is a newborn (born February 25, 2009). I will be getting him in 2 months and obviously he be 2 months old when he arrives. what kind of basic supplies should i be getting first in preparation for his arrival? for his "Play Pen", how should i go about making one?

when i first bring him home where should i put him and how to treat him? should i put him down and jus watch what he does? how long will it take him to get comfortable with his new surroundings and seeing new faces?

how old should he be before i take him outside for walks?

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I would check out some stickies in the top of the first time owner and basic questions thread, especially...

http://www.dogforums.com/19-first-time-dog-owner/8697-before-you-get-your.html

Basic supplies:
kennel, (blanket from breeder if possible) bowls, food, toys, leash, collar, i.d. tags(a.s.a.p) talk to your vet, visit some training classes, you want to enroll them in a class when they get all their shots.

No walks for now, get all shots, do short potty breaks and play mainly in the house.

But socialize them by bringing them outside, maybe with you holding them, let him see people, see other dogs, meet people, etc...

Play pen can be a metal X-pen with a kennel and toys in it.

When you bring him home, bring him outside to a designated potty spot. If he goes, say, go potty, and praise and give a treat if you have one.

Bring him inside, play a little, let him explore, take him out maybe even 5-10 minutes later because excitement makes them have to go.

If you see a lot of smelling of the floor, take him out.

If he messes, clap your hands to startle, rush him outside and wait around, and act as boring as you can to see if they will finish.

When you can't watch them, in the play pen they go.

Get a kong! Fill with some peanut butter or treats and it will keep them occupied.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Very cool, we were THIS close to getting a norbottenspets as well, but after doing some research we found that this was not the breed for us. Are you getting your pup from Valhallasun? We spoke to them a number of times, and they were very nice, and a reputable breeder. We ended up with a Brittany instead. Will you be showing this pup?

You have two months... I suggest you get reading. Read everything you can get your hands on! Go through the posts on this forum (check out the search feature) and read up on crate training, food, obedience training (I recommend clicker training), different chews and toys, etc. The internet is a wealth of information, but IMO you may want to stay on the positive reinforcement side of training. There are a number of great books out there too... search the forum for recommended reading.

Good luck, and be sure to post pictures of the puppy! Norrbottenspets are adorable!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts