Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Monday this week we started switching our puppy to ziwipeak. He was previously on Fromm game bird but started having loose unformed runny stool (not sure if that qualifies as diarrhea) so the vet had us switch to boiled chicken and rice. We were on that for about a week before switching and his stools firmed up at that time.

Now we have been mixing the ziwipeak with his chicken rice combo. Today we took out the chicken. Since the start of the switch his poop has been loose runny mucousy and green. The past 2 nights he's woken multiple times and tried to poop but only a little squirts out. Is this because the transition is too fast or should we go back to chicken an rice and switch to something else?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Ziwipeak is super rich so it wouldn't surprise me. A little but of mucous is fine too. I'd start on something chicken based. Have you heard of Real Meat Pet? It's basically the same as Ziwipeak, but in more flavors. I'd try the chicken one first.

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
I've never dealt with puppies and also never dealt with food like ziwipeak since it's way beyond my college budget. Still green seems like an odd color and maybe something to ask the vet about just in case.

I generally don't worry much over slightly runny stools from food switching especially when introducing raw meat. "tried to poop but only a little squirts out" kind of goes along with diarrhea so it isn't particularly surprising.

Just make sure he's hydrated and maybe add some plain yogurt to help the transition. There are also digestive enzymes that you can buy i believe but I've never tried any.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts