Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals.. !

We brought home our litle 8 week old Aussie Shepherd pup on Wednesday.. Thursday she was pretty active (chasing a ball, chewing on her chew toys, etc)..

Friday she was playing actively with our other dog (10 year old daschund/chihuahua mix, and by actively the older dog was avoiding the puppy at all costs haha)..but then she got a sick (threw up some white foam)..

her appetite then was non existant and she got sick maybe 4-5 times.. I watched her over night and she ate a little rice that we had cooked up for her and then the next morning had a bit of diarehea.. later in the day she had another elimination but it was firmer, and as of today (sunday) her stool is back to normal and she has not been sick since Friday night.

Saturday she was a bit active as well, (trying to herd the older dog), playing with her toys, chewing, following us around, etc.. but her appetite isn't that strong as of yet.

Is this normal? also.. her energy level doesnt seem 100% as well.. is this just due to not eating as much?

Her gums are nice and pink, nothing off about her just her appetite isn't much.. will this pass over 24-48 hours?

Just want to make sure little Macey is ok :) She's drinking plenty of water though.. and she ate a bit of food last night as well, but nothing as of this morning.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
In a pup as young as she is a vet visit is worth the peace of mind. There are many things that could cause it fro stress of new home to eating what she shouldn't have to too quick of diet change to a virus or infection. Moony things. Also if you haven't already I strongly recommend getting her poop tested, it's amazing what critters can hide in her poop and stress of going to new home can trigger her to start shedding them in her poop. Both of our dogs had coccidia and giardia as babies.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Oh my, she's as cute as a button :)

My puppy regurgitated foam and had diarrhea shortly after she arrived in our home as well. We had to take her to the vet for her shots anyhow, so we had it looked into at the same time. Turns out she was just stressed out, which is natural and passes in time. While there is a good chance its just anxiety or a change in food, its is definitely worth a vet trip - puppies that are new off of their mum's teat have poor immune systems, better safe than sorry!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In a pup as young as she is a vet visit is worth the peace of mind. There are many things that could cause it fro stress of new home to eating what she shouldn't have to too quick of diet change to a virus or infection. Moony things. Also if you haven't already I strongly recommend getting her poop tested, it's amazing what critters can hide in her poop and stress of going to new home can trigger her to start shedding them in her poop. Both of our dogs had coccidia and giardia as babies.
Thank you for the advice.. its a Sunday and our vet is closed.. she seems to be a bit more energenic today (pulling at her plush toy, chasing it around, giving it the head shake) she also just ate a palm full of rice and plain cooked chicken.. good sign? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Yes a good sign. Must be careful to not go too long without eating. Pups her age can easily get hypoglycemic. I would see how she is acting in the morning, if not 100% ( eating, peeing and pooping) then I would see of you could get a same day appt (which is a requirement I have of my vet, must be redly accessable mon-fri).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes a good sign. Must be careful to not go too long without eating. Pups her age can easily get hypoglycemic. I would see how she is acting in the morning, if not 100% ( eating, peeing and pooping) then I would see of you could get a same day appt (which is a requirement I have of my vet, must be redly accessable mon-fri).
well, she didn't keep the chicken down.. but she DID keep down some AVODERM she ate last night... interesting.

Her gums are a pink color as well, she's still drinking water and her stool is semi firm.

We'll give her the day and if not better by tommorrow off to the vet we go. She's been sleeping A LOT today.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I would take her in, especially if not keeping down basic rice & chicken. If you start feeling worried or alarmed then I would take her to an E-vet, but for sure your vet tomorrow. Has she been checked by your vet yet? Don't forget to take poop that is less than 8hrs old with you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would take her in, especially if not keeping down basic rice & chicken. If you start feeling worried or alarmed then I would take her to an E-vet, but for sure your vet tomorrow. Has she been checked by your vet yet? Don't forget to take poop that is less than 8hrs old with you.
We gave the Vet a call, unfortuantely they couldnt fit her in but she said over the phone that it doesn't sound like it's something serious as of yet..

She told us to check for dehydration, which she was fine and to let her not drink/eat for 3-4 hours.. unfortunately she said that even though the chicken and rice usually works, at this age her stomach is just SO sensitive that anything can put her off course.

not to mention I was giving her some little treats (peanut butter flavored, will look up brand in a few minutes) that said safe for puppies but I think this may be the culpret :(

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I have some very sad news :(

We just got back from the ER, she has a STRONG case of parvo :(

The chances of her contracting it from being with us is very nil.. since she started showing signs on Friday and we picked her up on Wednesday. There's a chance she could have gotten it from her vaccination (she had her 4 week and 8 week)..

We submitted her and she's on fluids/drip and under 24 hour watch at $1,000.00 a day. at 3-5 days.. one expensive pup but a life is a life.. and even though we've only had her for 4 days she is our baby, and we're going to do everything we can to have her pull through. She has an 80% chance of pulling through.

Please keep little Macey in your prayers tonight.. it's been a very said evening, but we're pulling for the best!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.