Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
It of course varies from week to week, but my dogs get a few (like 5 or so) short walks a day to go to the bathroom and sniff around (we don't have a fenced yard, so they need walks to go to the bathroom), then at least once but preferably twice during the work week we take them out to the dog bar or the dog park for an hour of running and playing. On the weekend, they get out of the house for at least an hour both days to go on a hike and/or the dog park (and of course they still get their short walks). I also try to do 5 minute training sessions for each of them at least once a day. Every single day, they play inside with each other. We have a few areas of the house with a good amount of space for them to zoomie and wrestle with each other.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I live in an apartment, so Stella is out 3 times a day every day. Our walks are shorter now due to the cold weather, but typical walking schedule is 40 minutes in the morning before work, another 40 minutes after work, and finally 20-30 minutes before bed. If I can, I do let her off-leash in the park so she can run around a bit and wander through the bushes/trees and smell to her heart's content. She is not active at all within the house and doesn't play with toys, so outdoors is where she gets all of her exercise. We do basic obedience for a few minutes here and there but there's always been difficulty teaching her tricks because she is such an anxious/shy dog who isn't very food motivated, and there's only so many times you can rotate through 'sit, down, stand' without going crazy lol.

I'm always hit with guilt every few weeks because when we're out, it seems like Stella can walk on foreeevverr and it's me cutting the walk 'short,' but I just have to keep reminding myself that 2 hours a day is pretty good for a 9 year old pup, and it's usually up to 3 hours in the summer.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Right now they're probably getting an average of half an hour a day? (Some days more, some days less).

Snowball get's walked a couple times a week, 1 rally class/week, and about 10 minutes of training/day.

Ida gets walked a couple times a week with Snowball, ~20 minutes of training/day, and fetch 5-10 minutes 2-3 times a day, depending on how cold it is outside - in the summer we play fetch for much longer and we also do some flirt-pole style play with the hose. She also wrestles pretty much all day (while someone is home) with Tessa.

As a baby puppy, Tessa gets a few minutes of training, but up until recently, she's had a really bad bout of puppy brain. Mostly she goes to class with Snowball, to puppy class once a week, and to dog-friendly stores 2-3 times/week. She also plays with Ida just about non-stop.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Ok stop everything and who is Tessa and why have I not seen a photo yet...

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Ok stop everything and who is Tessa and why have I not seen a photo yet...
Okay well I will post this here, but I don't want to hijack the whole discussion so I guess I should make a post about her or something....

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
It is so unacceptable that you do not have a thread for that gorgeous fluffball munchkin yet!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
No fenced yard (very small yard) so a minimum of 3 walks per day. 1st & last being leashed short potty walks. If he's feeling energetic, he's welcome to pogo (pops straight up in the air) to work it off while on leash.
Usually, he'll get at least 20 minutes of off leash running in a field, forest, or wild place. Sometimes, instead, a leashed road walk (sucks, he hates road walks) with a short stop at a parkette for frisbee.
I try to get him out for an hour or more off-leash, but it depends. I love walking and being outdoors so I have no idea where his needs ends and mine begin.
I found that he was showing some anxiety (weird behaviours/issues) until I got him to the point where I could trust him off-lead in the bush. So from that I'd say he 'needs' a minimum of 1/2 per day of off lead free running as that fixed things. I like obedience for fun, active tricks and casual agility--that's extra, but it's not much exercise compared to what he does on the trail.
Indoors, he is a lovely couch potato.
Short answer, is about 1 hour per day minimum with some free running (bush running) to keep him happy and settled.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I honestly have no idea. Some days my dogs play all day long and others they're lazy bums. Fable needs a bit right now since she's a baby but it's not that bad. Just an hour or so before work of free play and maybe some toy play, a lunch break where we train like 5 minutes and then she runs around. And then something after work for a bit. But Hank and Mia do a good job also playing with her. She is honestly much calmer than Mia was at this age!

My adult dogs are good with whatever. They're super adaptable.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts