Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

We recently adopted a four year old dog and am wondering what is the normal time period to allow him to adjust to his new home. I can imagine that being in a shelter and then going to a new home is a very stressful time for a dog. He has done pretty well so far. Eating well, playing nicely, did well when friends came to visit, even has started to pick up on some games we have taught him. We are enrolled in a dog obedience course to start shortly (I'll admit 50% of the motivation was for us to learn the right things to do). The one challenge he has is being left alone for periods of time. He doesn't do anything very destructive. A little accident occurred once. Does anyone have any experience on what is considered a normal adjustment period, and perhaps when we should start getting more concerned that it might be something more?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
The adjustment period will vary with each dog depending on their temperment (fearful/bold), their socialization skills (adaptability/reactivity) and your lifestyle/daily routine (chaotic/structured).
That said, a week or two is probably common to adjust to the general flow. The classes are a great idea and will help enormously in setting expectation levels.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I've only adopted one adult dog a month ago. It's taken her a month but she seems to be settling in now pretty well.

As for the accidents, I find keeping a schedule of letting them out to go and training them to go when you ask by always repeating the command when they are circling around about to go helps too. Many folks schedule meals that work well with a potty schedule as well.

I have never used a crate but I imagine that would work very well too for setting a housebreaking schedule.

Dealing with it this morning in fact, I had her out at the families place in the country all weekend and I guess it threw the schedule out. I'm going to be late for work today waiting for her to go out and do her duty it looks like. I know she'll need to before I get home tonight if I don't though.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I adopted a 2 year old mutt from the shelter around Valentine's day and I would say that it took him about 2 months to fully settle in. At first he was a complete velcro dog - even pushing the door open to the bathroom (eep!) That's gotten somewhat better, although I think he's just a bit of a clingy dog. He also had major SA issues - breaking teeth and bending the bars of his crate to escape. He now has the run of the downstairs which seems to help, as does the doggie Prozac he's on. I'm sure it varies from dog to dog, but Rufus seems pretty comfortable with the routine now, and the noises of the house.

He starts obedience class soon too - I've heard thats a great way to get them acclimated. Also having a consistent schedule, as TxRider mentioned.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I had a dog it only took him less than 30 minutes to fit in. But he loved everyone, he would pull me when he sees someone. So he can meet them and get a pet. :D
While another took a lot longer.
Both were from the shelters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts