Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, hi! I actually don't have a dog, yet! I mean, me and my family decided that we might get a dog depending on some things (personal). So if we do, I want to make sure your puppy is taken proper care of and that he/she is well trained, so.... RESEARCH!! Anyways.... :focus: I have a few questions in mind, but one has been in my mind for quite a while saying "Hey listen! Look! Hey Look, Listen!!" (no reference intended):

What diet do you guys recommend when it comes to food? Kibble? Raw? Natural Dry? Wet? (You can also give specific Brands)

Something else that would be very useful would be a simple list of pretty much everything a dog needs (I don't mean in the long run, just one of one or two time supplies).... Based on some research I already made I came up with this, but if someone disagrees with something on it or wants to add, go ahead, that is after all one of the main reasons I joined. To consult research with pros :tea:

Food/Water Bowls (I've heard ceramic types are a great option since they are heavy)
Crate & something Comfy to Put inside it
Leash & Tag (puppy might need to microchip)
Treats (for training of course)
Pet safe Cleaners
Dog Shampoo
Brush
A lot of chews - puppies have sharp teeth and I don't want him chewing on stuff he isn't supposed to be
A potty patch or something similar
Child Gates (I have a bunny, and introducing them to each other will take time) - maybe
Toys!
A book on how to train them

so yeah........

Thank you for taking the time to read this article and thanks even more if you reply!

(Also BTW, before we get our puppy (if) we will be consulting a vet)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hi! Congratulations on thinking of getting a dog I hope it works out for you :)
First and I am sure many people will tell you this, dont make the dog do anything you wouldnt do, like if it gets hot or freezing cold and your dog is "an outdoor dog" so you would just leave it out there and make it deal with it, is not right.
For diet, I think it just depends on the person and the dog, many dogs, just like people have sensitivities to certain foods and have likes and dislikes. I feed my dog a mixture of blue buffalo and earthborn, but she also eats lots of fruits and vegetables she takes out of the garden :rolleyes: Other people dont feed dog food at all cause it is very healthy for the dogs and keeps their teeth clean and breath fresh. Im sure others can give more info on food. Please do not keep your dog chained. I also assure you to raise the puppy to be around the rabbit, cause I have chinchillas and made the mistake of not doing this, now just at 6 months old she already wants to chase them XD I am still working with her though to not eat my other animals.

Your list looks good to me! Just make sure the crate is big enough for the puppy to grow, since they do grow VERY fast. The treats need to be specifically for puppies as well as the shampoo.

as for getting the dog, their are certain breeds and personalities that will work better for you and your lifestyle, people have information on tests you can do when picking out the dog to see if youre compatible. Also you said you had a rabbit and wanted them to be able to be together, there are breeds that are better with other animals and livestock.

Be sure to keep your pup socialized with other dogs and to train them while theyre young to not be food aggressive or resource aggressive.

I am no pro, but I hope I could help a little. I am a first time dog owner as well, but with the help of this site and research youll be a perfect dog owner :)

·
Registered
915 Posts
As far as food goes, in an ideal world it would be something like Raw>Cooked Homemade>Grain Free Dry>High Quality Grain Inclusive Dry>Generic Dry>Canned Food. We are currently feeding something between a high quality grain inclusive food and generic dry food due to budget reasons (and our dogs are healthy and in good condition on it). However, some dogs don't do as well on raw, or are on a mix of raw and kibble. Some dogs even do better on foods with grains than grain free. But as a general rule, that scale of food quality holds up.

This is a good place to compare and research dry and canned foods. Generally, avoid foods with corn, you want the first ingredient or two to be real, named meat, and "chicken meal" is actually superior to "chicken" because just "chicken" has a higher water content and a lower amount in the food than it's position in the ingredient list would indicate (can sub in for different meats). Also avoid things like "poultry byproducts" as this is a catch all term and can really mean any part of the chicken that they found no other use for.

You can find a decent reading list of all things dog related here and some ideas/training games here. I highly advise reading through all the sticky's in the training subforum.

The user elrohwen has two Welsh Springer Spaniels and a rabbit (or two? three?) and she can probably give you tips for how to deal with that. I know there are a few others on the forum as well, but I'm going blank at the moment ;)

I would say getting a Kong is a good investment. And a good generic sample size of toys: get a toy with a squeaker, get a rope/tug toy, get a ball, get a stuffed animal toy. Once you have your dog and find out their preference you can go from there. Having some toys on hand prior isn't a necessary thing though--we had some tennis balls anyway, and then we just took the dogs with us to Petco and picked out a few toys for them there.

We use rawhide chews (more for cost) but I love splurging on bully sticks.

Why are you getting pee pads? Do you have a reason why the dog would need a reason to eliminate in the house? It can work, but generally its easier to just potty train the dog to go outside exclusively.

I would also say to get more towels. Buy nice newer ones for you and use the old ones for dog towels--wiping up drool, cleaning up throw up in the car (one of ours is prone to car sickness), wiping up muddy paws, drying them after a bath, etc.

Along with a brush, don't forget you need something to take of their nails--clippers, a dremel, or both.

I personally support getting your dog chipped if possible. Especially if they manage to get loose and lose their collar (life happens).

Just lurking on the forum and participating will cover a lot of the research you need ;)

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
That's right, have you decided what breed you will get? or if you will go with a rescue, or a breeder? If you go breeder, please make sure that you go with a reputable one and NO pet stores or online "puppy selling" sites. Make sure you can visit the breeder, see their dogs, etc. The breeder IMO should be transparent about their program, their dogs and their operation. They should ask as many questions to you as you do to them, and you should be honest and transparent as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Before anything I just NEED to point this out.... I love your username DogtorWho15!!!!!! Now going back....

Hello CrimsonAccent, and the reason I plan on getting puppy pads is because if we get a puppy, we do plan on getting him/her on November/December and in November it is fine, the puppy can go on the backyard and depending on how old I can take him/her on walks.... however in December (and January) it gets really cold and snows where I live, and I think we can all agree that letting a puppy going outside when it is 20-30F outside and the snow is high is not the brightest idea. However if anyone in the Forum has this problem and has a better solution I'll be more than happy to hear it :smow:

Hi OwnedbyACDs, we plan on getting a small/medium dog, and de do plan on adopting from a shelter.

Thank You For All The Replies!

·
Registered
422 Posts
haha! Thank you XD
Awww! I love when people adopt from shelters, I do volunteer work at one and it just breaks your heart, I will definitely be adopting my next dog from one. Good luck with your dog! Be sure to let us know about his/her progress and give lots of pics! :p

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Before anything I just NEED to point this out.... I love your username DogtorWho15!!!!!! Now going back....

Hello CrimsonAccent, and the reason I plan on getting puppy pads is because if we get a puppy, we do plan on getting him/her on November/December and in November it is fine, the puppy can go on the backyard and depending on how old I can take him/her on walks.... however in December (and January) it gets really cold and snows where I live, and I think we can all agree that letting a puppy going outside when it is 20-30F outside and the snow is high is not the brightest idea. However if anyone in the Forum has this problem and has a better solution I'll be more than happy to hear it :smow:

Hi OwnedbyACDs, we plan on getting a small/medium dog, and de do plan on adopting from a shelter.

Thank You For All The Replies!
you can get something like the "potty patch" or make your own indoor dog toilet using fave grass (there are some instructions on how to do it on google).

Good luck with your puppy!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Where I am it gets a lot colder than that in the winter, and we have gotten our last two dogs in November (as 8 week old puppies). Housebreaking went normally, just keep the trips short. Depending on what breed you are getting/what size dog could make a difference of course though.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Got both my dogs in winters of different years and I live in an area that regularly reaches to -40°C and below in winter...the occasional -50 °C as well.
I refuse to use pads as I have never witnessed anything good about them. I've seen lots of carpet peeing from pad trained dogs tho.

·
Registered
693 Posts
What diet do you guys recommend when it comes to food? Kibble? Raw? Natural Dry? Wet? (You can also give specific Brands) Thats going to vary based on the dog and your income and availability to get a said food. For example one of my dogs has seizures so any old store food wont work for her. Its too expensive to feed all 5 of them.

Food/Water Bowls (I've heard ceramic types are a great option since they are heavy) Any food bowl is fine.
Crate & something Comfy to Put inside it Only needs to be big enough for them to lay/stand in.
Leash & Tag (puppy might need to microchip) nothing fancy is needed but yes this is vital
Treats (for training of course) Chicken works and is cheaper, so is cheese for example
Pet safe Cleaners You can make your own
Dog Shampoo In a pinch I have used Dawn dish soap, cleans, treats fleas and is cheaper than dog shampoo
Brush Not really vital. Nice to have but not needed
A lot of chews If you want them
Pee Pads... NO WAY- potty/crate train instead.
Child Gates (I have a bunny, and introducing them to each other will take time) Not needed really. They are nice but not needed
Toys! A basic tennis ball or frisbee can be enough sometimes
A book on how to train them Loan at the library but is not one size fits all
Answers in BOLD. :) Have fun!

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
however in December (and January) it gets really cold and snows where I live, and I think we can all agree that letting a puppy going outside when it is 20-30F outside and the snow is high is not the brightest idea. However if anyone in the Forum has this problem and has a better solution I'll be more than happy to hear it :smow:
I would still take the puppy outside rather than use pads. If it's cold they will learn to go quickly. It's just part of dog ownership that you'll have to live with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts