Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Four month old puppy...

He was recently neutered (a week ago today.)

He was previously crate trained and was doing great...sleeping through the night..no accidents..no whining. Suddenly, he whines non stop! He whines in the crate, out of the crate, in the bed, before going out to potty, once we are back inside, non stop.

He is NOT a vocal dog. He whines when we wants to go poop (no noises for peeing,) and every once in a while if I am sitting on the bed and he can't reach me or if I shut him out of the bathroom (basically when he can't get to me.) Other than that...the only time he makes noises is at night. It is like the second we go to bed, he starts whining and grumbling. We aren't getting any sleep and it is causing fighting between my bf and myself. He has food and water, gets taken out immediately before bed and usually once around 2am and again at 4-5ish when my bf gets up for work. My boyfriend normally takes him for long walks when he can..which granted isn't every day..but usually lasts an hour or so. The dog prefers to just sit under trees, watch birds, and roll around in the grass when he gets outside.

It is driving us crazy. We need sleep and can't continue to get pissed off at each other every single night because we can't shut the dog up. There was no real reason that we can think of that made him stop wanting to be in the crate, he was doing great! Also, we live in an apartment complex..so instead of just bothering us..he's bothering EVERY ONE. I decided to just ignore him in his crate regardless of the whining the other night and he started barking so loudly that dogs started barking in return from a different building! He's LOUD.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Is he healing okay from the neuter? I'd take him to the vet and make sure he's okay first thing.

Other than that, can you put the crate by the bed so you can put your fingers in there with him? You could try putting a blanket over the crate and see if that helps.

He's 4 months old, which is young for a dog, and he just had a surgery. He may just need a little extra comfort.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I work at a vet office so he is definitely taken care of. No bruising, swelling, or infection. If you mean "young for a dog" as in age for surgery- I just did what the vets rexommend. Also, he was humping furiously by 3 months...anything and everything 24/7. He got a little grumpy for a few days after the sx and had very little patience with us but now he'll just roll over and let me check his sx site without any problems. I pulled at a scab a little today and he protested so I do think he is a little sore.

I did try the crate in my room and he still whined. He is starting to outgrow it so it could just be he feels cramped maybe?

I have some pain meds left over from the sx so I could try giving him one before bed? I don't want to dope him up just because he is whining though.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Check his crate. Recently my pup refused to go in his crate and I couldn't figure out why. I pulled the bed and pillow and blanket out of his crate and realised he had brought a tennis ball in there and somehow got it stuck under his bed and couldn't get it out. Also check his incision, he might be having trouble sleeping because of feeling sore. 4 months is on the young side for neutering, but I don't know if that will affect his night time habits.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
If he's sore from the surgery, even a little sore, he may just be having a hard time getting comfy and calm enough to sleep. He is still just a baby, after all. I mean, even when I get a cold, I have a hard time sleeping, because I'm uncomfortable, and I'm a human, AND an adult. But, it's still difficult sometimes when you're sick or sore.

·
Registered
9,362 Posts
I agree with Doxie, and add another suggestion.

Normally when we used to neuter, the dog had to be kept quiet for a week or two. Not sure if that's the case. When I had my pup neutered at 6 mos, I had to keep him quiet for about 10 days. When we were released... he went stir crazy. All that bottled up energy simply blew up and he was a Tasmanian Devil for about a month.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea his crate was fine. His sx site is healing really nicely. I gave him rimadyl before bed and it went better though still some whining.

Yes, we are supposed to keep him quiet...so far that's almost impossible! Keeping a lab puppy quiet? Ha!

·
Registered
9,362 Posts
Those of us who have raised Lab puppies, recognize that they aren't really the same species as a Lab adult. The simplest ones are needle-toothed fuzzy vampires ... If they weren't so cute, they would've staked long ago.... probably wouldn't matter, since they eat wood as easily as the hand that feeds them [pun intended]. I'm not sure who crossed a goat with a piranha, but it's amazing how they can evolve into a calm, sweet, laid back adult :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts