Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a wonderful sweet loving dog who loves people and other dogs, doesn't bark without a good reason and never growls. We go to the dog park 2-3 times a week and he loves playing with the other dogs, but if there is a puppy there, like less than 2 or 3 months kind of puppy, we have to leave because he will start growling and barking at it (I will say, though, the rules posted at the entrance say no dogs younger than 4 months but apparently that doesn't deter some people). He won't bite them and he keeps some distance between himself and the puppy, but because he's a pitbull, it kind of scares people when he goes into this intimidation mode. He's not like this with small adult dogs (my other dog is a mini dachshund and they get along fine), he's just like this with puppies.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or knows a way to correct it? If it's pertinent, my dog is only a year old. Any help is appreciated! :))

·
Registered
17,912 Posts
You really can't correct it. Any sort of 'correction' will form a negative association between the puppy and your dog and make it worse.

Some dogs don't like puppies - at ALL. They're rude, and they're annoying, and just generally difficult for a lot of other dogs to put up with as a result. There's nothing there that needs to be corrected. You can try some LAT or BAT to keep him CALM, but he's probably not going to decide he likes puppies and play with them, regardless.

And you don't want him correcting a puppy's rudeness by snapping at them. Perfectly normal thing to do, but he's a pit and you KNOW it's going to be his fault. Just keep him away from puppies.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm a totally new guy around here and have a bit different slant than some of the regular posters (I've been reading a while), but I'll give you a quick opinion on this anyhow.

Your dog shouldn't have to deal with any organism (child, puppy, adult dog, cat or adult person) that doesn't know how to properly interact with him.

Puppies typically don't have any manners. It would appear your dog knows that and is warning them to give space. Many puppies haven't learned those warning signals yet and will invade his space without thinking.

If that's the single issue you have I would just avoid the situation and protect your dog.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I agree with the above two posters.

Some dogs just don't like puppies. My old boss' dog was the most social dog ever, except when it came to puppies, brachy dogs and unneutered males. Puppies are rude, pushy, and don't have the social skills of a mature adult dog.

Honestly, I would not be bringing a pit to a park at all. Pits do not back down once in a fight, and there are so many ill behaved dogs at parks... it's just asking for something to happen.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
My adult dogs, mostly the males, do not like puppies as they usually have no manners and jump all over them and want to play. My females are a little more forgiving but even they correct them at times. It is not fair to either the puppy or the adult to interact unless the adult knows not to correct too harshly. If I knew my adult dog did not like puppies, I would always keep them separated and certainly not take them to a dog park where there are puppies that young there regardless of the breed.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
When my dog was a little younger most adult dogs that we met did not like him at all. Now that he is older, the same dogs that growled at him as a puppy are perfectly okay with him. I would avoid the park if there are puppies there and go somewhere else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts