Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So let me begin with: my puppy is fantastic. While she has more energy than the Sun, she wants to be around us, she wants to do what we want, and she is looking to please. The main issue we've had come up is she has virtually no interest in being pet or relaxing on the couch with us. She loves affection in the form of food, but in terms of a pet or a "good girl" she's pretty indifferent. She NEVER wants to curl up on the couch and relax. If we put her on the couch, she'll sit there for a few minutes then roll off onto the floor to hang by herself.

I am generally okay with it, but my girlfriend is SUPER frustrated we don't have a dog she can 'snuggle' with.

The puppy is 8 months old and is a Border Collie/Aussie mix. Any one else have this reaction from their puppy? Any suggestions or thoughts?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sounds normal to me, especially for an energetic teen "herding group" dog. Shared activities sound like the way to go. Walks, training, tricks, dog sport, active stuff. Some dogs are snugglers, some not--like people.
She sounds like a completely awesome dog, btw.

·
Registered
17,913 Posts
Sounds normal to me, especially for an energetic teen "herding group" dog. Shared activities sound like the way to go. Walks, training, tricks, dog sport, active stuff. Some dogs are snugglers, some not--like people.
She sounds like a completely awesome dog, btw.
Yep, this. She may get more into physical affection after she's more mature (my girl got a bit more into it about 2) but she also may very well not. Not a big deal.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Some dogs just aren't that type of affectionate. Sometimes as they get older the do grow more affectionate, and sometimes they don't.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Some dogs just aren't affectionate. It could be the breed, but it could also be just the individual dog. My husband was disappointed that Pepper wasn't affectionate when we got her either. When we got Kane 2 years later it was affection overload! He can't get enough cuddles.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Honestly it could be either the breed itself or the puppies age. I've had experience with this, and I don't want to give "false hope" but I have a german shepherd who just turned a year and 3 months. When I got him and until he was about a year old he never liked to snuggle. Anytime I tried he'd squirm away, never liked to sleep on the bed with me, never cuddled on the couch. I think he just had too much energy at his age and didn't want to snuggle up. I wouldn't take it personally, it's just preference!

·
Registered
549 Posts
The only time my Eskimo/Husky/Lab mutt likes to cuddle up is 5 minutes with us at bedtime, then she goes to my feet or to the floor. That, and she slept on my lap after she got spayed for a couple nights. That's it. She'll play and roughhouse with you and will jump on you to lick your face and likes being pet for a bit and lying down at my feed, but never snuggles.

Our older dog loves attention though (also a mutt but no idea what breeds). He'll keep pestering you until you pay attention to him... I actually like the other one better, sometimes I just don't want to spend an hour petting a dog, lol.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Atlas was not a cuddly puppy at all - in fact he was more like a shark with razor sharp teeth anytime you got near him. No adorable puppy snuggles for me! But, as he's gotten older (just over a year and a half now) he's become more willing to cuddle. Of course, now he will hop up, practically lay on top of my iPad, slobber all over, and then roll onto his back so I can give him belly rubs... So maybe be careful what you wish for! :p That said, he is only cuddly for a few minutes at a time because he really does get too warm. There have only been two occasions where he has actually fallen asleep beside me - both when he was absolutely exhausted from hiking - which actually makes it even more precious when he does do it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts