Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening All,

I would like some recommendations on balls to get Finnlee. Finnlee is an eight week old Chihuahua/Papillon mix. I had three fuzzy small tennis balls but he's chewed one apart and I was worried about the fuzz. Do they make small hard rubber balls? Or hard plastic ones?

Thanks
AJ & Finnlee

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
What do you want the balls for? To play fetch and tug with? For him to chew on? If it's to fetch and play tug with, then something soft, preferably with a handle. If it's to chew on, I recommend other things that are designed for chewing.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I use the ChuckIt Ultra Ball for my dogs. We play fetch everyday, and they have lasted us a long time. I’ve never had to replace one for it getting destroyed. I am adamant about taking them away when we are not playing though. With a regular tennis ball they can destroy multiples in a single fetch session, so I say it’s still a better choice.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I never recommend tennis balls. In an adult dog (German Shepherd, Belgian Malinois, Dutch Shepherd or Large Border Collie) the ball can get stuck in the dog's throat and the dog can suffocate. This has happened to several K9's. A hard ball the same size is also a problem and a dog can end up dying in the same way if left unsupervised. This was a recent happening with someone I know.

As LeoRose said chewing is to be done on thing designed for chewing and use the ball for playing with your dog (putting it away when you are not playing). There are also balls on a rope so you can throw them and play tug but they also should only be used when you are engaged with the dog.

Balls should always be a bit large so they cannot be a choking hazzard.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We were playing chase with it and I noticed it come apart from the bit of chewing he was doing on it before I took it back from him. I've thrown them away and was wondering what he could have as a replacement. I have a soft rubbery ball with knobbly bits he likes and I watch that too.

·
Registered
278 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have read that the fuzzy type balls (like Tennis balls) can cause teeth to wear down if dogs are allowed to chew on them.

This ball has pretty good reviews on Chewy: https://www.chewy.com/ruff-dawg-indestructible-ball-dog-toy/dp/112751 It comes in 2.5" and 3.5" sizes.

My last pooch LOVED his Holee Roller balls. He loved the way they'd squish as he bit them. I see now that they make a Holee Roller with a tennis ball inside. This might make a good alternative to the tennis balls your now using: https://www.chewy.com/jw-pet-proten-hol-ee-roller-dog-toy/dp/108912

If you're looking for a chew toy, maybe the donut-shaped version of the Ruff Dawg toy would make it easier for a smaller dog to get a good jaw grip on the toy without the worries of choking : https://www.chewy.com/ruff-dawg-indestructible-dawg-nut-dog/dp/172395

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got a couple of the small Chuck It balls today. Finnlee likes them and I'm watching closely as we play with them. And I put them away when we aren't playing.

AJ & Finnlee

1 - 8 of 8 Posts