Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i adopted ziggy from shelter when he was 3 1/2 months old. i had a dog crate with newspaper in it prepareing. anyways when he had to go potty he went to the crate on newspaper :) never on the floor or carpet. anyways he is 6 months old now and still will not go to the bathroom outside. i will keep him in the backyard. BUT when he wants to go to the bathroom he will go to the door wanting in the house so he can go. i brought his poop outside but i guess he doesnt get it. i tell him poo poo pee pee when he goes in his crate.. then when we go outside i say go poo poo pee pee but he just looks at me like im dumb lol. he is getting to big for me to be cleaning this crate 15 times a day, and it is starting to smell like a kennel :( i keep it clean thow why does it smell down here thow thank you

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Go back to the beginning and teach him to go outside just like you taught him to use newspaper.

the reason your words aren't working is because dogs don't generalize. to him, "poo poo" means "on the paper in the crate". so when you take him outside and ask him to poo poo, he does think you're being dumb. There's no paper or crate out there! Retrain him using a different word. Use "go potty" instead.

As to the smell, well, yeah, 2.5 months of peeing and pooping would smell pretty nasty. Try an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle. Just soap or regular cleaners isn't enough to totally remove the smell and if you can smell, your dog can smell it, and if he can smell it, he'll think it's the right place to go potty.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
So.... you put newspaper in the crate and taught your dog to use the crate as a bathroom? Normally the crate is used as the place they sleep, and not the toilet.

I guess what you could do is relocate the crate/bathroom to outside, then take the top off so it's just the bottom half of the crate, then just the paper where you want him to go then remove the paper or put shredded newspaper down. If your dog has been going in the house for that long then it's going to smell....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i did not newspaper train him, he went on it automatically .. maybe for he has been in a shelter since a pup ? and as for the crate, yes i know about the sleeping part. but ziggy has a soft pillow bed. i do not make him sleep in a crate.. i used the bottom of the crate for him to potty on. instead of the floor. for he was a puppy and i did not want to put newspaper on the floor. makes sence huh ? lol anyways as for the smelling since it isnt on the floor and i change the newspaper every time he goes i just didnt understand how it could still smell.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you . i will try and use the new words and see if that will help :) but i didnt teach him to use the paper potty... he must have been in shelter since born or something and is just used to it

·
Registered
76 Posts
My opinion is he came from somewhere "pet store most likely " that put shredded newspaper into is cage and learned to go on paper....

You can try what was suggested above bring newspaper outside and change word as it probably "irrelevant to dog by now"

Once dog learns to go on paper outside over time you can make it smaller and smaller until dog is going outside ...you can also try the drops they sell in pet stores to mark a spot to go potty ....

Good luck. And supervise always like its day one set dog up for success :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts