Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog just turned 1 and he thinks he's too cool for his crate. I rescued him three months ago and after the first week I would say "bedtime" and he'd trot right into his crate until now...
Starting This weekend he does not want to go in the crate.
Friday night I tried waiting it out and eventually bribed him into the crate (in my bedroom) with a treat.
Saturday I closed him in the bedroom with me and didn't try to get him in the crate. He slept the night on a dog pillow outside the crate.
Tonight I'm giving him some freedom to roam the house ( my bedroom, kitchen, living room, dining room. ) he seems to want to sleep on the ottoman looking out the front window.

I guess the sofa and ottoman are more comfy then the crate ( with pad and flece blanket). He doesn't try to get in bed with me. Past chewing a couple shoes he hasn't done anything that would make me worried.
Should I just accept this or try to get him back to sleeping in the crate?

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I have allowed my dogs once they were potty trained and I saw that they did not destroy things ... to have the run of the house at night .. and two of them sleep in the human beds. I also made sure the house was super child/puppy proofed first!

I cannot get my new boy Eddee to like his crate at bedtime much. I have only had him 4 months. I like to keep the dogs used to the crate because of having to possibly use a crate in an emergency and so forth. I do not want them to forget that it is a safe place.

So ... I give Eddee treats and his meals in the crate as well as leave him in it for short periods every now and then throughout the day. If I don't he will tear up things when he does not have my full attention! Lol! And he is not under exercised either! Believe me! Lol! :) I also leave him in it when I leave the house to go away. This keeps him adjusted to it.

I say it is a personal preference. Good luck if you choose to let him have the run of the house ... keep anything harmful out of reach and safe. I have also closed certain doors to the other rooms off of the main Living room and kitchen when I go away ... to be safe. :D

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
We've had Livia for about a month (just a few days shy actually) and after the first week, she was sleeping in the room with us, along with Loki. She's only 8 months. I think it depends on the dog - if you trust them not to wander, etc - than it's fine. Crating during the day though.. that's a whole other ballgame! LOL

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I had zero issues crating my foster dog the first 6 weeks I had him (Saturday marked 8 weeks) and then he suddenly started to fuss in the crate some. Now he's very reluctant to go in the crate but I haven't had to force him yet, simply toss his treats in the back and wait him out. Eventually, usually a few minutes, he'll go in for the treats. Once in he hasn't really put up much of a fuss, at least that I hear from my bedroom at night. This morning was actually the first time I put him in the gated off kitchen when I left for work instead of his crate. Hoping to hear he did well and didn't make a mess when I get home. My brother works nights so at most it's usually only a few hours from when I leave for work and he gets home.

I still don't know why he suddenly decided he doesn't like the crate anymore but until I can trust him a bit more to not mark/pee in the house I'm going to continue to be very careful with when and how long he's out un-supervised.

Whether you want your dog crated overnight is really up to you and how much you trust him.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Could the crate have gotten "too small" for him? The reason I put that in quotes is that even if it looks like he fits comfortably, maybe he's noticed that it is smaller (even though he is really bigger).

If you're not worried about him "going" in the house, and he doesn't destroy things its really your choice. Its probably a good idea to put him in his crate with lots of treats every so often so he continues to see it as a safe place in case of Emergency, like Abbylynn mentioned.

·
Registered
281 Posts
My dog used to sleep in his crate but then I lrt him have free roam of the garage and after one night where he was scratching on the door late to be let out he got the entire backyard too.
It's all about trusting your dog.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well free roam last night ended when something out the window got him barking (which is very rare) . Still not sure what his new issue is with the crate. With a little bribery he's sleeping on a dog bed by the crate in my bedroom but he acts like bedtime is a cruel trick and doesn't want to come in the room.

I've been moving the crate back and forth between my bedroom at night and the guest bedroom he stays in while I'm at work. I'm thinking I might be able to leave it in his bedroom 24/7 now.

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
Well with my I just keep him in my room when I go to bed at night and close the door, his bed is in my room anyways. I feel like he tends to progress to different areas either because he's bored or w/e. Initially, he would love sleeping in my bed next to me, under the covers. Then it probably got little warm for him and he decided to only stay under for a little bit and then climb out and lie on top of the covers. I had gotten him his "new" bed a while ago but he always seems to prefer my bed more.

Now it seems like he doesn't really want to share my bed and would sleep in his own bed a lot of the time. I still usually find him on my bed when I'm not on it, or sometime when I jump off to go to the bathroom, taking up as much room as he can. He's also taken a liking to lying down next to the bed or under my desk. If he has free reign, he would also stay on the couch downstairs. I think he's just gotten a little too spoiled with all the different places he can sleep. Maybe it's something similar with your dog.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts