Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family and I had been looking for a standard poodle for a while at the Humane Society and the Homeward Bound organization with no luck so I began searching Craigslist for one--I KNOW THIS IN FROWNED APON! I found Frank at the top of the list(before it got flagged probably by a breeder? ) The posting read this " I have 2 cream color standard poodles that are 6 moths old that my mom bought but does not have the time to care for them so they are in my garage. I sadly do not have room for them because I already have 2 dogs and a cat. I am keeping them in my garage and they need to be gone by tomorrow. There is a rehoming fee" So, I responded to the ad by email and left my phone number and I said I was interested (the posting had no other contact info). About an hour later I got a text from them saying they had one puppy left and if we wanted it to come and get him in the morning. We drove down the Wabasha about 1.5 hours away and met them in a grocery store parking lot. They were asking a few hundred for the dog and as soon as I laid my eyes on him, I wanted him. She gave me a hand written paper with his birthdate and wormers and shots that he has had and a small ziplock of dog food and his lease. He is not neutered either.
Yesterday I called to make him an appointment to go to get checked out by the vet and they said I need PROOF of shot records. I then tried to call the girl that I got the dog from and she would not answer the phone, only used text messaging. She said her mom got the dogs from a breeder in Northern Wisconsin, but she gave them the dogs cheaper because they didn't have papers and she has no idea what vet they used. Am I in for it or what? So far Frank has been a great doggy. We are working on the house-training and he seems to be catching on. I am worried sick after reading the dangers of puppy mills that that may be where Frank came from. I am praying he is healthy and has a long healthy live ahead of him. Is it ok for the vet to re-vaccinate my dog even if he may have already had his vacs? Does anyone have a similar experience as me? :wink: Dog Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Dog breed

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
It happens quite often, actually. However, the only shot that they will insist on getting done since you have no proof is the rabies shot. Which, in your shoes I would get done since the person didn't give you a rabies tag or a certificate signed by a veterinarian stating that the pup had his rabies.

It's not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Find a dog on Craigslist isn't frowned upon, unless your actually buying the dog. If you paid the person $300 for this dog, then yeah, it was not the best choice. I found a wonderful home via CL for my last foster. It's when you buy puppies off of CL that are from a breeder that you'll get a bit of a lecture on.

You need to get him to the vet, and I would NOT take the word of anything the past owners said on Vet care. It would be different if they handed you the actual vet papers stating that he's had a vet check. Full work up, and yes do get his vaccinations again because it's doubtful he's had them in the first place.

Congratulations on your new dog, and just remember to keep a watchful eye on his health as he gets older.

·
Banned
199 Posts
If I were you I would just have them re-vaccinate, there's no way to know what he might have before so I think it's better safe than sorry with regard to vaccines. I think it's pretty common with rescued dogs that they need to be re-vaccinated because history is unknown. He sure is cute! :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Instead of re-vaccinating (I am all about minimal vaccinations/healthy choices) you can have your vet titer your new dog.

Titering is taking blood from the dog to check a dog's level of immune defenses and can replace the over vaccination dogs annually. If the dogs levels are low, then I would re-vaccinate. If they are okay, I would re-titer next year.

EDIT TO ADD:

I would give the rabies vaccine though as it is law and having proof of such is obviously needed. The boosters though, I would titer for.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
I would recommend that you call the vet and explain your situation. The vet will tell you if it's safe to re-vaccinate. My guess would be that it's ok, usually vaccines start at 8 weeks, I think, and then at 12, and 16.

When we rescued our 2nd puppy, the rescue organization said she had already been vaccinated once, and they said she was 9 weeks old. When we took her to our vet, he said she was no more than 7 weeks old, and that the first vaccine may have been too early, and we could set up a new appointment and start from scratch, with all three shots, as if she had never gotten any while in the rescue.

If you've asked around, and feel like you have a great vet, they will be honest with you and tell you if it's safe to re-vaccinate.

Very likely, the "breeder" the person's mom got her from is a backyard breeder, that's why there were no papers. So, it's a great idea to start from scratch with your vet, getting a complete check up and vaccines.

Next time, (and I'm not "hating", just giving advice) I'd check with petfinders.com , they have lots of poodles! :)

·
Registered
682 Posts
No need to fuss at you at this point, Frank is in your home and in your life now, for better or worse. ;) Glad you have since read up on puppy mills...when you know better, you do better! I can't think that it would be harmful to "double up" on vaccinations. Think about strays that are picked up that may have been vaccinated previously, got away from their owners, got picked up, and were re-vaccinated.
I have adopted a dog off of CL, BUT it was a private home and responsible owners who were rehoming due to expecting a new baby. I received thorough vet records, heartworm preventative, "baby" pictures of my dog, and all the info they had on her parents. I was EXTREMELY fortunate that the woman that had her is a dog trainer, has a great reputation, has an extensive show record on her other dog, and had made a concerted effort to socialize my dog. It was clear that they never intended to rehome her. Nothing was hidden or kept from us, and four months later, we still maintain weekly contact.
I'm sorry that this has not been your experience with Frank. :( All you can do is make the best of the situation you are in! Best wishes.

·
Registered
662 Posts
If you had to meet the people at a grocery store, I'd be worrying if the dog wasn't stolen. I am glad you got your poodle though. It took us almost a year to find our first saint bernard. It was worth the wait.

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
I bought my dog from a reputable breeder and got records initialed by the vet that the breeder was using and my vet wouldn't even accept that! I had to phone the other vet multiple times to get him to fax the records again with his full signature on it to my current vet.

They're always very fussy and it's really not a huge deal. Just get the shots again, especially rabies. It shouldn't cost more than $100 for both the rabies and a booster shot of DHPP. One booster won't hurt the dog. Just in the future, you may not want to give the dog a booster every year, then I suggest titering. Rabies, you always need to get otherwise it's illegal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just wanted everyone to know that I took Frank in and got all of his shots re-done, and it was about $130. He did very well at the vet and sat like a good boy. The vet said he is about 7 months old(which was what the people that I got him from said) and he looks as though he is in perfect health. He has been doing so well, I've been taking a video of him every week on how his training has been progressing. I also took him in for his first haircut and he looks so handsome! I can't believe how smart he is and how well in-tuned we are with each other. He his pretty much house trained now(after buying a crate--which was well worth the $$$) and he actually scratches at the door to be let out. I swear this dog has been a gift from God. We could not be happier with him!

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Thank you for the update :) Glad he's doing so well.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I just wanted everyone to know that I took Frank in and got all of his shots re-done, and it was about $130. He did very well at the vet and sat like a good boy. The vet said he is about 7 months old(which was what the people that I got him from said) and he looks as though he is in perfect health. He has been doing so well, I've been taking a video of him every week on how his training has been progressing. I also took him in for his first haircut and he looks so handsome! I can't believe how smart he is and how well in-tuned we are with each other. He his pretty much house trained now(after buying a crate--which was well worth the $$$) and he actually scratches at the door to be let out. I swear this dog has been a gift from God. We could not be happier with him!
Your doggy is so lucky to have found his forever home with you! Right from the beginning you did what you had to do to make sure he is healthy and trained. If you are hesitant to tell folks how he came to be yours, don't. :) He is in good hands now, and that is what counts!! Congrats!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.