Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
I stay in New Delhi, India.
I have a 5 month old male Cocker Spaniel named Maui, who's supposedly an English Cocker. I bought him from a vet for Rs 10,000 i.e 221$. What is bothering me is the fact that Maui has absolutely no fur or hair on his body unlike other Cocker Spaniels that I have seen. He only has wavy hair on his ears and that's pretty much it.

I'm not sure what his parents looked like.

What could be the reason for him not having any body fur? Could he be a mixed?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I'm not good with dog genetics, nor am I sure if a medical problem could cause that, but could you by any chance show us a picture?

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
From that picture, it looks like he does have fur*, it's just short -- is that what you meant? Some cockers I've seen do have shorter hair as puppies and seem to grow into their coats.

*or hair, I always confuse them, sorry groomers!

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
English cockers don't have that much fur to begin with, compared to american cockers that is.

Your dog does have fur, just short. He is only 5 months old, he isn't going to have his full adult coat right away. But then again it does all depend on genetics, if the parents didn't have a lot of fur it's not likely yours will.

Do you have a picture of him standing to the side? So we can see a side profile?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
You certainly do have a Cocker Spaniel there, and a lovely one as well.

English Cockers have less coat that American Cockers. On top of that there are working or field bred lines of English Cocker Spaniels (and a few very rare American Working Cockers) which even have less coat than their show bred counterparts.

On any of the varieties of Cocker Spaniels the coat is very skimpy as pups, and slowly fills in. Often, in American Cockers, the coat continues to fill in until well past their third birthday.

I have a spaniel mix here, with obvious ties to Am. Cocker in her background on both sides, and her coat was quite skimpy until she was two . . . and I loved it. She has now filled in her coat (spay influence I believe) and it is much more difficult to maintain - it is still no where near what a show Am. Cocker gets. I'd never wish for the show coat on any spaniel, myself.

I'm going to post some images below of the different varieties.

This is a working or field type Cocker Spaniel (English):

This is a Cocker Spaniel - English show type:

This is a Cocker Spaniel - American Show type:

. . . and these Cocker Spaniel images demonstrates what that coat can become if not maintained by a lot of grooming (these are before and after images of the same dog)

SOB

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
You have a Lovely Lovely looking dog. Don't worry about how much hair he has.. as noted they all do not have so much.

He is very cute and looks very interested in the camera. What a nice dog!

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
He is definitely pure. I agree his parents were probably working line ECSs, and therefor he won't have the amount of coat that you see in show bred lines.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was cruising the internet and see "No fur on Cocker Spaniel" My first thoughts. "Not good" Well seeing a fine looking Cocker puppy was a relief. Like everyone has Posted he is ok :) and will be a fine looking Cocker indeed. I was very lucky to have had a "rare" field bred American Cocker Spaniel So I figure I would share a picture

·
Registered
849 Posts
So cute!
I see Golden in a lot of Spaniel pups too, if the colour is similar. I suppose it may be because spaniels were in the mix that eventually became the Golden Retriever breed.
I'd love a Cocker as my next dog, (back issues, smaller than a Golden), but cannot afford one from a reputable breeder (I won't dip into that vet emergency fund!). I am wary of the cocker rescues in this area since a lot of them are Quebec puppy mill dogs and reportedly there are too many health issues.
Perhaps Maui would like to come live with me? :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
There are a lot of nice Cockers in Rescues. A good thing about Rescues is the dog usually has been already been evaluated. So you would know what you are getting.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I've seen a couple of Rescues in my area have a Cocker up for adoption and say that they usually don't take them in from this area due to health issues in mills in the area, but that THIS one is a good dog. Them being wary, makes me a little wary until I have more info. Something I want to research more- because a lovely Cocker is a dream.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Its a serious shame how a puppy mill can ruin a breed of dog. If I was to be looking for a certain breed of dog today. Besides researching the breed. I would be researching Breed specific rescues with a foster network and not a "warehouse" These are the ones not just trying to find dogs homes. But find loving forever homes. These are the ones you can ask 100s of questions about a certain dog and get honest detailed answers. they also will be asking 100s of questions about yourself. 1 reason is to make sure you are a match to the dog The application is usually 4+ pages long with a contract stating if you have to let the dog go for any reason. The dog must be returned to the rescue. there are plenty rescues like that. With plenty of "dream" Cockers or other breeds people are interested in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have googled American Cockers and it says that they shed but not sure how true that is because I used to own one and he never shed and when he was a puppy he didn't have a lot of hair, as he got older the hair grew but I used to groom him so his hair was always short....My dog passed away 2yrs ago and recently we rescued another dog that looks like she's mixed american cocker and king charles spaniel...With owning a pure bred cocker that never shed I wonder if the king charles sheds because this dog we now have sheds a lot and now I'm concerned because I'm allergic to other types of dogs but was never allergic to the dog that has passed away...Is it possible to be allergic to the one I have now because of her shedding? Also I think she is suffering from separation anxiety because whenever I leave she cries a lot...What should I do?

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I have googled American Cockers and it says that they shed but not sure how true that is because I used to own one and he never shed and when he was a puppy he didn't have a lot of hair, as he got older the hair grew but I used to groom him so his hair was always short....My dog passed away 2yrs ago and recently we rescued another dog that looks like she's mixed american cocker and king charles spaniel...With owning a pure bred cocker that never shed I wonder if the king charles sheds because this dog we now have sheds a lot and now I'm concerned because I'm allergic to other types of dogs but was never allergic to the dog that has passed away...Is it possible to be allergic to the one I have now because of her shedding? Also I think she is suffering from separation anxiety because whenever I leave she cries a lot...What should I do?
This thread is a year old, might be better for you to start one of your own rather than hijacking this old one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts