Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of just giving Chubby the food that we eat, because I am really starting to worry about all the food recalls. I'm starting to think that Mfg. don't care about animals & aren't making the food the way they state. Are the foods really nutritious for them? .....or are we all taking a big risk by feeding it to our pets?

I stayed away from the Pet Foods sold in Grocery Stores, wanting the best for Chubby....but high rated foods are now having the recalls. I don't want him to get sick & then hear about the recall.....any thoughts on feeding just the same food we eat....& not Raw feeding, I can't feed that way.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Are you asking advice for home cooking? I've never done it... we've been a raw family for 2+ years.

The recalls that are currently going on are due to a specific manufacturing company which is known for it's recalls. Unfortunately some "premium" brands have been having some of their foods manufactured in their plants. If I were looking for a kibble I would look into those who aren't tied to companies with such bad reputations. Some I would consider are:
Orijen
Acana (Grain-free variety)
Fromm
Earthborn (Grain-free variety)

There is also the "dehydrated" route which would be closest to home cooking. The 2 brands I like are Grandma Lucy's (esp. their new pureformance) and The Honest Kitchen.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm weaning Chubby off of TOTW now & onto Earthborn. I'm just worried that after awhile, I'll hear Earthborn is having recalls. I started w/Blue Buffalo, they had recalls....switched TOTW, there having recalls & I've seen other brands I considered having recalls :(

I give Chubby 1 1/2 Cups of Kibble + 2 Boneless Chicken Thighs & 1/2 cup of Green Beans a night. Some nights it's a Cup of Cubed Stew Beef instead of the Chicken. I was thinking of just giving him the people food & cutting out the Kibble, but I'm not sure if it would be healthy enough. It's just that the kibble recalls are making me really nervous.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm weaning Chubby off of TOTW now & onto Earthborn. I'm just worried that after awhile, I'll hear Earthborn is having recalls. I started w/Blue Buffalo, they had recalls....switched TOTW, there having recalls & I've seen other brands I considered having recalls :(

I give Chubby 1 1/2 Cups of Kibble + 2 Boneless Chicken Thighs & 1/2 cup of Green Beans a night. Some nights it's a Cup of Cubed Stew Beef instead of the Chicken. I was thinking of just giving him the people food & cutting out the Kibble, but I'm not sure if it would be healthy enough. It's just that the kibble recalls are making me really nervous.
Unfortunately as long as you are dependent on a company making food for your pet there will always be those concerns.

For home cooking I would be concerned that the dog isn't getting what it needs just from basic boneless cuts of meat. In PMR (prey model raw) we feed a combination of meats, bones, and organ meats to try and mimic a whole prey animal which essentially would be considered nutritionally complete. Especially with a varied diet. Why are you opposed to raw feeding? The Honest Kitchen and Grandma Lucy's can both be supplemented with raw very easily if you don't want to make a huge jump.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll check out those websites ....thanks so much :)

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
You can't just toss your dog human food willy-nilly and expect him not to end up with nutritional deficiencies (way worse than salmonella!). If you feed a home-prepared (raw or cooked) diet you have to make sure all the nutritional bases are covered. There's a lot of info on how to properly balance a home-prepared diet, if you're really interested.

I will point out that human food get recalled often, too. . .

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excuse me, but I don't toss my dog his food. I love my dog very much & I was just posting a friendly thought about cooking for my dog instead of feeding kibble.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I agree that there will always be some risk associated with feeding kibble. Choose a company that you trust and know what ingredients their using and what quality. No matter what you feed, there's always some risk, even with raw and even with home cooked. For me, the risk associated with feeding good kibble from a good company is rather negligible, and I'm not going to worry about it until a problem crops up.

Also, just to put things in perspective...
Yes the recalls are scary. Yes, I would return recalled kibble if I had bought it. But as far as I've heard (and correct me if this info is out of date or wrong), the company issued the recall hoping to prevent a problem before it occurred, not because some dog(s) got sick or died. It's unfortunate that the kibble may have been contaminated in the first place, but at least they did the right thing and pulled it (at a huge cost to them). If I had been feeding one of the recalled brands, which I wasn't, I don't think I'd switch brands, and I definitely wouldn't consider feeding raw or home cooked because of it. But that's just me...these are decisions each dog owner makes for themself.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Excuse me, but I don't toss my dog his food. I love my dog very much & I was just posting a friendly thought about cooking for my dog instead of feeding kibble.
Sorry, bad wording :). I mean that a lot of people will have good intentions when feeding home-prepared diets (especially when it's done in response to worries about pet food, and especially when they refer to it as feeding the pet "what we eat") but end up not giving their pet a balanced diet. It can be complicated to balance their diet properly, just make sure you research everything about what nutrients he needs and how to provide them. Nutritional deficiencies are scarier than bacteria-contaminated food.

It's scary to think about the extent to which we cede control of our food to companies, but unless you raise all of your own food, there's always going to be that lack of control. The way human food is handled scares me just as much. . .

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes the recalls are scary. Yes, I would return recalled kibble if I had bought it. But as far as I've heard (and correct me if this info is out of date or wrong), the company issued the recall hoping to prevent a problem before it occurred, not because some dog(s) got sick or died. It's unfortunate that the kibble may have been contaminated in the first place, but at least they did the right thing and pulled it (at a huge cost to them). If I had been feeding one of the recalled brands, which I wasn't, I don't think I'd switch brands, and I definitely wouldn't consider feeding raw or home cooked because of it. But that's just me...these are decisions each dog owner makes for themself.
Quite honestly this manufacturer (Diamond) is known for recalls... To say they "did the right thing" by making a voluntary recall is kind of moot since "the right thing" would be stricter & stricter sanitation and procedures put in place before it got to this point... Instead it has just been a downhill collective of recall after recall over the years. I feel that since most didn't know Diamond had it's hand in TOTW many will change brands simply because how infamous Diamond is. If I were still feeding TOTW (which is another issue in itself) I would most certainly have switched at this new nugget of knowledge.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Just remember If your switching because of recalls, there have been a whole lot of human food recalls in the past year too. and some foods that weren't recalls but did make people sick. You can't get away from recalls if recalls is what scares you better just raise your own animals and grow your own food because all factory farming and manufacturing is not going to have the great level of care that most people desire.

·
Registered
538 Posts
If you are considering home cooking, please research research research before giving him meat and veggies. When you cook food, you change its nature and kill vitamins. Many home cookers have to add supplements to make it balanced. Nothing wrong with that, just too much work for my tastes. I feed prey model raw.

If you can not do raw, I respect that too. Just make sure you are doing right by your dog because nutritional deficiencies are the worst thing! And it doesn't take THAT long to happen.

Best of luck with whatever you decide :)

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
It isn't hard to feed fresh food even if you cook it. Feed mostly meat and most of that meat from mammals, add a bit of calcium and you are half way there. Use a little liver and fatty fish. Add in enough pureed veggies to firm the poop and done. Really.

I did start feeding fresh because of the 2007 recalls but soon found my dogs were much better off on it than the good quality kibble they had been on, either Wellness or Canidae or Pinnacle. For my dogs kibble is too low in fat and I was unable to feed Max the high protein he needed in kibble and it turns out he does better without any grain and some veggies as well.

If you want to pursue this trying reading Dogaware's extremely informative page. To start out you might choose to buy a book, choosing one from the review section. You can look most of them up on either Amazon or Google books to see if you like the way they do things.
http://www.dogaware.com/diet/homemade.html
Lew Olson's book isn't on the dogaware page but I do like her approach. If I had to feed Max cooked food this would be my model.
http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/low-glycemic/

Cooking does cost more than kibble. Raw is much cheaper as I don't throw much away - Max eats the bone! One of the most annoying draw backs was we had to eat a lot more stewed chicken and chicken soup as the dogs' food smelled so good WE wanted some too!

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I agree that there will always be some risk associated with feeding kibble. Choose a company that you trust and know what ingredients their using and what quality. No matter what you feed, there's always some risk, even with raw and even with home cooked. For me, the risk associated with feeding good kibble from a good company is rather negligible, and I'm not going to worry about it until a problem crops up.
lf.
I just bought some Vital Essentials (for treats - no way I could afford to feed the dogs something that basically would cost about $7 per meal) and noted that it gave very specific instructions for carefully washing hands and surfaces after using. That tells me there is concern about salmonella. All raw meat I see carries similar cautions to avoid salmonella and e coli.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I just bought some Vital Essentials (for treats - no way I could afford to feed the dogs something that basically would cost about $7 per meal) and noted that it gave very specific instructions for carefully washing hands and surfaces after using. That tells me there is concern about salmonella. All raw meat I see carries similar cautions to avoid salmonella and e coli.
Yeah, I got some Nature's Menu and it has a warning on the label about how raw meat contains pathogens that can make humans sick, please use proper raw meat handling procedures, etc.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Just remember with homecooking:

38. “Home cooking for your pet is harder than you think. I once saw a dog who was fed a home-cooked diet of chicken breast and vegetables for a year, and his bones became so weak that his jaw broke. If you would like to cook for your pet, find a veterinary nutritionist who can help guide you, or check out balanceit.com.”—Monica Revel, DVM, a vet in West Hollywood, California.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Yup, salmonella and E. coli are the tip of the iceberg. I eat meat, and I don't mind chopping up raw meat and cooking it for treats for my dog. But feeding raw to a dog scares me because of the risk of parasites. Their stomachs are stronger than ours, but they aren't immune. If I was raising the meat myself or could absolutely trust the source, then I might feel differently.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts

My issue with Diamond isn't even this salmonella thing. I'm not OVERLY concerned with salmonella (although humans are now getting sick from it, which is not good either) but it's how they handle the recalls. Do you know how many dogs they killed during the 2007 mess?

There's obviously something NOT right at that plant, IMO, and if people continue to buy their products, they will continue to make them with the current standards they practice. They shouldn't get any credit for the recalls. They only recalled after the FDA told them they had salmonella - each time. It wasn't their quality control, or anything, that produced this recall. THEY weren't the ones to pick it up.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone for your replies. After some further research & some thought after reading your responses, I have decided to keep Chubby on a mixed diet. The only change will be the Kibble - from TOTW to Earthborn Grain Free.

So I will feed 1 1/2 Cups of Earthborn - mixed with 1 Cup of either Chicken/Beef/Turkey or Beef Liver w/Green Beans/Carrots/Peas & twice a week a Sweet Potato. I lightly braise w/Chicken or Beef Broth. He hasn't had any problems feeding this way....he's a happy, healthy dog. Nice coat & teeth. The only change is from TOTW, I just can't deal w/the recalls from Diamond. Hopefully Earthborn won't have any recalls.

Thanks for all your help & support. :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts