Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to take Marge somewhere really fun for a day with my boyfriend, maybe from like 10-4 or something like that. Just wondering if you all had any ideas.. any good parks, trails, attractions? I think it would be fun to take her somewhere where there's a good amount of other people yet we could be alone if we chose to as well. I live in Staten Island so somewhere about an hour away is preferred. Just looking for some cool dog-friendly destinations. :)

·
Banned
572 Posts
I am partial to South Street Sea Port in lower Manhattan. Many nice shops over there and just a place I like to go when I have nowhere else to go :) Not really anyplace to go hiking or anything towards that end, but dogs are always welcome anywhere downtown! I also love to take a short trip to City Island but not sure how far that is from you? I am north Bronx not far from Yonkers/Pelham and it's about 20 min to get to City Island for me. There also used to be dog oriented day hiking somewhere not too far upstate. The group would meet in Manhattan but this was a few years back and I can't remember much else. Think I found them on www.urbanhound.com

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UB - Thanks for the suggestions. Manhattan might be a little too busy at this point for Marge, but that could be a fun trip down the line. Didn't know downtown was so dog friendly. I've been spending the night browsing through that site. For some reason, I've never seen it before. Pretty helpful stuff. Thanks alot! :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Out here on LI there is a small old time whaleing cillage called cold sring harbor, the village is small, but they have an open area to hang out, as well as many places to eat, then when you get tired of the village that have Hiking trails that go from the north short of LI to the south shore of Long island, you can hike for hours and never hit the same trail twice..

here is info on cold spring harbor, they have info on the trails somewhere in that article, it leaves from cold spring harbor state park

http://www.loving-long-island.com/cold-spring-harbor.html

·
Banned
749 Posts
All right you asked for it now :D

Off leash dog parks I prefer the Wolf Hill dog park. It is bigger and newer. Is naturally sloped as opposed the the other one which is entirely flat.

Beaches I live near Bayshore waterfront park. Across the street from where I live is where people park to either walk their dog on the beach or fish from the beach.

Sandy Hook where you can walk your dog on the beach in the off season. Seasons begins on Memorial Day weekend. During the season you can walk your dog on the bay side of Sandy Hook.

Thompson Park this is where one of the dog parks are that I referenced above but it is also a 500 acre park with different places and sometimes events going on.

Holmdel Park which is another huge park and has horses, an old farm and lots to do.

Then you have the Henry Hudson trail which is a 15 mile paved trail that runs on the old railroad right of way parallel to route 36.

A list of other dog friendly places in the area

Hope that helps. Perhaps if you are down this way if you want to meet up somewhere so I can show you some of the area let me know.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow - thank you so much for all of those links, Lola's Dad. Those dog parks look like heaven compared to my paltry 100 x 100 lots on Staten Island. You just might tempt me to try one of them out.. If I go I'll let you know, maybe my boyfriend, Marge and I will bump into you and Lola. :D

Holmdel Park sounds pretty interesting too, I like horses though I'd assume the farm is not dog-friendly.

I was originally going to check out the Palisades.. we thought about bringing lunch and picnicking and maybe doing some hiking, but the website seemed pretty heavy on the "watch out for poisonous snakes!!!" stuff. I'll show these other places to my boyfriend and see which he likes best. After all.. he's driving. :p

Thanks again for taking the time to get all of those links together!

·
Registered
361 Posts
wooo, all sorts of cool places listed!

Right now I usually just hit the two small local dog parks with my parent's dogs. (nice places but not worth a drive out of the city for). I have been debating taking the drive out to wantage dog park. Anyone know if it's worth the hike?

Oh, I'm in Bergen County NJ if anyone has any suggestions closer to here that I might have missed :).

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I agree with Sandy Hook. We took Dex there a few weeks ago and he loves it. We also like going up to the Watchung Reservation in central NJ to hike. Hacklebarney in North NJ is beautiful too. NJ has a ton of trails, reservations, and parks that make for great hikes if you're into that sort of thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts