Registered
7,376 Posts
I would put down two rules:
-any inappropriate mouthing immediately leads to a time out
-reward calm, acceptable behaviors with appropriate tug games

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Time out is a punishment at times. Removal of something the dog wants.

In real life, I have NEVER had a pet owner come back to me and say "those time outs you mentioned ruined crate training for me." Probably because I never have people use the crate as a time out location if the puppy doesn't already love the crate. Goes without saying, it is easier to assess a situation and really figure out what someone is doing correctly/incorrectly in person. However, if it needs to be clarified... A "time out" is putting yourself or your puppy somewhere where the puppy can calm down, and not physically be able to reach you. Gate, crate, pen, tether, different room, etc. If a dog already loves the crate, the result of a time out is the dog should simple settle in their crate; because that is what the crate means to them.

So to kmac99, IF your shepherd already loves the crate, and IF you calmly ask her to go in and shut the door for 15 minutes as a time out, there should be nothing wrong with that. IF your dog is 'fighting you' each step of the way or you need to seriously coax your dog to go in, opt for other time out locations instead. Regardless, I am a strong believer that for mouthy dogs, you need an area of absolute separation. The dog can still be in the same room (so not thrown into a cupboard or into the basement), but not be able to practice mouthing a person any time they want attention.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts