Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Mouthy GSD doesn't sound unusual ? Generallly high energy, high drive, some bred for sports and work that includes using the mouth. But, I am not a GSD person so my direct breed knowledge is limited.

That said, your phrasing and use of terms like "alpha" make me wonder if maybe your training techniques and guidance might be a bit outdated? A muzzle for example has good uses- it can keep a dog from eating something dangerous on a walk whilst you train him to leave it, can keep a dog in pain for biting a vet during a procedure, can help a known dog aggressive dog to be walked safely. But it should never feel like something negative for the dog. I don't mean that I think you are trying to punish the dog with a muzzle, I just read the wording as an indication that studying up on some positive and modern training might be to your benefit.

Age appropriate physical exercise (safe for growing joints and tendons), lots of mental exercise, and learning how to be calm (the dog, not you, although kinda the human too) are keys to surviving teenage puppyhood.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts