Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are fostering a 1 yr it so old GSD mix. She is only 42 lbs and how big she will get. So not sure what she is mixed with.
She is a major hand full, a real brat.
We already have 2 really good dogs. One is a Newfie mix (alpha too) and other is a box/hound. They listen and behavior so good. This is our doing and training so not new to dogs.
The new one is so mouthy. Alot of it is play we get that but after 4 weeks ahead of will not listen. She is aways starting with my other 2. They are 4 and 5 yes so not to old. The Alpha has put her in her place so many times it is not funny but still keeps staring.
Two weeks ago my 2 went after the pup. Dog fight and it was just me to break it up. I know part of it was them protecting me. In the end no dog hurt but my 1 finger got ripped by the pup. Today she went after my hand and if wasn't for my ring she may have gotten me again. I know it was just play to her.
She does have chew toys around too. Just can figure out how to stop to biting.
And ideas? Looking at training but that will be 3 weeks from now.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have done treats but once she gets them she goes right back to nipping away. When it gets really bad and she will not listen at all we put a muzzle on her for just a couple on minutes. Trying to not be aggressive. A negative treatment that doesn't hurt but there got to be a better way.
When she isn't nipping she not bad but it's normally what she does, nips at us or my 2 other dogs.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so we have always been told to not use a crate to punish if you use it other times. So we haven't but might have to. It's not great weather here so she is treadmill train and use it to burn of energy. Truth hasn't worked she wants to to play with someone ALL the time. Our boxer, who can very energetic, can't keep up with her.
Anything that seems to work for a couple of days and then she doesn't care. We been using positive and time outs to reinforce things.
The Alpha is out top dog who is a female. They all are. We all agree a part of the fight has to do with my girls wanting to protect me. My boyfriend was out of town and when the pup got out of hand they put themselves between me and her. When we are not around the pup is in her crate. Also if all 3 are outside we make sure one if us is there too. Truth since that night the Alpha been very patient with the pup.
We have an appointment next week to see about professional help. They specialize in GSD too.
Hopefully they can give us what we are missing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts