Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got a puppy a few weeks ago, I think he's a boxer/heeler mix and he's usually a very good dog and he's a ham! Unfortunately, he has started nipping my heels/butt when I walk or when we play. Is there anyway to stop this? I tell him no in a very stern voice and he starts wagging his tail and barking at me like he thinks we're playing. It's very frustrating because when people are over, he does this to them also, not to mention those sharp puppy teeth hurt!

Here's a picture if you could give me some more insight on what breed(s) he is:
280157_10150331369550832_628090831_9626243_4073433_o.jpg
277461_10150331594510832_628090831_9628488_7498795_o.jpg
280917_10150331368880832_628090831_9626240_6583387_o.jpg

I'll post another/better picture in a few minutes. :]

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
Go Tigers !!!!

See the Sticky in the new owner section: The Bite Stops Here ... for Bite Inhibition.

Some tweaks to that method:
1. When the pup bites, then yelp. It should sound about like what the pup does when you step on its paw...
don't step on his paw for a sample :). When you yelp, the pup should startle briefly and stop nipping. Praise and pet. He'll bite.
2. When he bites the second time, Yelp. When he stops, praise and pet. He'll nip again, although it may be a little gentler. ...
3. When he bites a third time, Yelp (see a pattern?). But this time, turn your back for 15 - 30 secs. If he comes around and play bows or barks, then that is an apology. Accept it, praise and pet... and cringe in expectation of the next nip...
NOTE: Boxers frequently get stuck at this point, because owners ignore (or don't recognize) the 'apology' ... then you can get the extinction burst... so the process may start over again.

4. When he bites the 4th time, Yelp, then leave the area, placing him in a 2 min. time-out. It is better if you can leave, rather than moving him. Then, return and interact. (He's still hungry...)
5. When he nips the fifth time, yelp, and leave the area, stopping interaction for now.

Immediately after you yelp (in this case), you should notice that the second nip is a bit gentler... not enough, but a bit.

Dogs need to sleep over night in order to learn their lessons. So, keep doing this for 3 days. By the third day, you should notice significant Bite Inhibition. He may still nip, but it will be softer and he won't draw blood. Keep up the training and make sure that everyone yelps.... Very powerful method.

If you learn the technique, then you can apply the "yelp" to other circumstances, also. I believe that "yelp" is "Please don't do that, I don't like it." in dog communication.

·
Banned
693 Posts
Hanksimon's advice is really great for nippy dogs :)

It actually sounds like he may be trying to herd you, as he's nipping at your heels and butt. I don't have any great recommendations to stop this from happening, however your research may lead you in that direction in order to curb his behavior.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hanksimon- Thank you i'll definitely look at that! And ohhh yeah go Tigers! Hopefully we'll have a good fb season this year :p

dmickle1- When he nips it really does seem like he's trying to herd me, sometimes it also seems like he wants to play and that's how he gets my attention. It hurts either way though! haha :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts