Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I call Luke, "my little Corgi" because he has this tendency to brush his teeth near/on my (or my father's) ankle. He doesn't nip like a Corgi would and it doesn't even hurt, but it does get your attention.

I tell him "no" or "ah" and make a face and he's smiling up at me. But I read somewhere that this means that your dog is trying to tell you that he's in charge. I hope Luke knows that I'm the boss, I highly doubt it though.....anyway....

I was wondering if that was a myth or not; when a dog brushes their teeth on your ankle, is he telling you "I'm the boss!"?? Or what's this behavior mean?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
No, that's not true. If he was a herding breed, I'd say it's herding instinct, but I think it's just attention seeking behavior. He nips, you pay attention to him.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
No, that's not true. If he was a herding breed, I'd say it's herding instinct, but I think it's just attention seeking behavior. He nips, you pay attention to him.
I agree with Amaryllis. My dog will nip (usually at thigh level) when she's excited and wants attention. She does it most often when we first get home from work after she's been alone all day. We ignore her the same way we do when she jumps for attention. I don't think it means anything other than she's so happy she can't control herself and doesn't have an other outlet for her excitement.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks you two! So when I see Luke about to do it or when he does it, should I tell him "no"? Or not say "no" and just ignore like you two do?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Definitely a herding thing. My Kenda used to do it a lot, now just when she's very tired (I think she's trying to herd me to the car or towards a good nap spot.) When she nips my ankles I immediately stop walking and put her in a sit. When she's completely focused on my face, I release her. Whatever behavior she's trying to provoke by nipping, it's not "sit and calm down" so I'm distracting & diverting her while giving her something she can succeed at.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Ham nips at my feet when he's super excited to see me and follow me around - like when I first get up in the morning, or first get home in the afternoon. He stops after a few minutes of "Ow! Ow!"

·
Registered
891 Posts
Molly supposedly has some Sheltie in her and when she's trying to get me out the door, she'll try to herd me not by nipping at my ankles but by tapping the back of my calf with her nose to chivvy my along, LOL.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's good to know my dog isn't the only one who nips at my ankles and I mean in a sense where normally herding dogs do it. So I refocus his attention, okay....thanks. Hope the rest of you are okay and it doesn't hurt you. I know if I see Luke about to do it, I move out of the way...which is funny because we're on a sidewalk and I'll end up faltering in the street. People must think I'm nuts. Lol.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
People must think I'm nuts. Lol.
Come walk with me and we can be nuts together. I carry on conversations with my dog: "Those men are working. They don't have time to pet you." "No, that lady did get out of car to play with you." "Yes, this is where the pretty doggies live." People must think I'm crazy. :)

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Twin City Dog--thanks for saying Luke is handsome. :)

cookieface--lol, sure let's go walking together!! I hear you on the conversation definitely as I do the same. I mean, what's normal again? I know the word normal isn't in our dictionary. :)

·
Banned
306 Posts
Owners of Ankles nipped by their dogs Unite!

Playful attention seeking I agree. Shows my dog likes a bit of repartee, that he has a sense of humour. "Who me? That must have been your imagination!"

Just one reason I like my critter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts