Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys My 5 month old maltese keeps on biting/nipping my shoes/feet/slippers/pants... I don't really know what to do. I've tried the leave her alone for 30 seconds trick but she still bites me after :-( Sometimes when she bites I pull her head slowly from my foot, but i'm scared because she will try to bite my hand when I'm about to move her head away.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Instead of moving her head away with your hand, give her a toy to chew on instead....this associates it's not ok to chew on my person I'll chew this toy instead :D plus the maltese is still a puppy they are going to bite/nip because that is what they do.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
not really sure about small breeds, I don't know much about them....maybe she's scared? that is a complete guess I have no idea for sure.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hey guys My 5 month old maltese keeps on biting/nipping my shoes/feet/slippers/pants... I don't really know what to do. I've tried the leave her alone for 30 seconds trick but she still bites me after :-( Sometimes when she bites I pull her head slowly from my foot, but i'm scared because she will try to bite my hand when I'm about to move her head away.
She does what most puppies on earth, big and small, do. Its a passing phase and she will grow out of it. It is similar to a human toddler who uses his hands to touch everything, only dogs do that with their mouth. You don't need to push her away nor force anything. When she bites, offer her a substitute toy she likes. Play other games that will distract her. After she bites once or twice, say no, get out of the room, or put her in another place she doesn't find exciting. Do not use her crate for this exercise. Keep her there for 2 minutes (longer times do not help, since she cannot associate that with being alone). Repeat as needed.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I agree with Marti. Has your puppy hung from your pants leg yet??? My puppy used to do this....I would literally be walking and she would clamp onto my pants leg while I was walking and just hang there. I laugh about it now but at the time it drove me crazy. Just give her another toy. Try and distract her. Eventually they do outgrow this. For my pup it was only time that cured her of it!

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
As for freezing when you pick her up to carry her, lots of puppies don't like to be picked up. They're small, the world is big. It's scary to be up off the ground. For what it's worth, most dogs also don't like to be hugged either. That's a human form or affection, it's not how dogs show affection. I'm not saying you do that, just FYI.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts