Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the sticky, it says:

"Dogs are happiest when the pack order is stable"...

What if you have more than one dog? Do I choose which one is higher on the pack chain?

I've got the order like so :

Me (Danielle)
Kd (roommate)

Husky (Zasha) & Shepherd (Spud)

Is that something I need to establish, or do I treat them equally? Sorry its a stupid question probably.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Back when I had Betty, she was the so-called 'Dominant Dog'. But yet she shared everything equally with my other 2 girls. And to strengthen it, I always praised her and treated her for sharing, and she had zero resource guarding for anything (same with my other 2 girls). Now the 2 girls I have are both the submissive type and get along great with each other, as well as any other dogs that come over. If one dog appears to be more dominant than the other, I highly recommend having some good treats on you at all times, and whenever you see a behavior that you really like, such as the dominant dog sharing something or playing a good game of tug on a rope and not a 'That's my rope' kind of tug, then highly praise that behavior. Betty loved playing tug with Nell, she would bring the rope to her. The more you do this at home, the closer the dogs will become with each other, and any of the bad issues will slowly disappear. But you need to always be on top, and Nothing In Life Is Free.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, thanks for the response... my husky is definitely the "Hey that's my toy" kind of pup. She's constantly stealing toys from the other one, etc... I've been working on just what you said for a few weeks now and noticed it waning slightly. It's taking a while, but I do notice.

I just wanted to make sure I understand the pack mentality from my point of view as alpha (or at least look like I do to them LOL)

Today they did great. I was so proud of them. My roommate is out of town for a family emergency and I had to work all day. We stopped crating them a few months ago and we keep them in the kitchen when we're not home - today I was gone for almost eight hours and I expected all hell to have broken loose by the time I returned... a husky and a shepherd mix alone together for 8 hours - sheesh! (There was no way I could take a break and my roomie is usually home on Sundays!) ... anyway, I came in the house and nothing was destroyed so I was happy and praised them like crazy... but of course right when I got home, they were CRAZY jumpy and "MOM MOM MOM OMG IM SO HAPPY YOURE HERE MOM MOM MOM" (you know how it goes) ... and so instead of ignoring the jumping, I redirected it and said "Let's go out" immediately and they followed me to the door. It took them about 5 minutes to sit for me to clip the leashes as they calmed down, but they eventually did it (YAY!)...

Now we're working on "off' as they think they can hang out on my bed whenever they want and I'm trying to make it so they only come up when I tap the bed and say "ok" at bedtime, so that it's not a trampoline for them (though my husky LOVES that!)

Anyhoo ... thanks :)

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Sounds like you are making some good progress. Two commands that I think are very important, other than the sit, down, come, etc, is Off and Leave It. For me, my girls have full access to the bed and furniture under one condition, if I ask them to get off, that they get off. All I have to do is say Off, and they both get off. If they don't, then they lose that privelage for a while. I don't mind them getting on the bed, or the sofa, but if I need to fix the bed and ask them to get off, then they get off. And they always get off the first time I ask them to, and get praised for it.

As for pack mentality, I don't know if I would call it that myself. I just consider it as me being the one in charge at all times (NILIF). When I think of Pack, I think Wolves, not dogs. Yes, dogs may have come from wolves way, way back, but have lost a lot of things and gained things since then. For instance, if you take some good food and put it somewhere where they can't get to it, a wolf will continue to try and get at it, and eventually give up if it can't. But a dog will try for a while, and if he can't get at it, the dog will then look at you as if he's saying, ok, I need help, lol. A wolf won't do that. I don't consider myself as the Alpha. I just consider myself as the one in charge of everything the dog wants or needs. And the dog has to look to me to get his needs fulfilled.

Now, as for the redirecting when the dogs were jumping, excellent, excellent, excellent. I do that with my girls. When I get home from work and they are worked up, I say, Ok, Lets go Potty, and we all go outside in the yard so they can do their duty, lol. I just know if I worked them up inside, especially if they really had to go, they would go inside, lol.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK SUB-question

When my dog was a puppy, I trained him to hit the door with his nose when he had to pee. Is this COMPLETELY contrary to NILIF?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
woot... thanks :) Now if I could only get my husky to do that! The only way I know if she has to go is if she suddenly has an energy burst and runs really quickly around the house. lol

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I never know if my Nell has to go, I just let them out on a regular basis and haven't had any problems. But Chloe, if she has to go, she goes by the door and whines. And she usually has to go more often, as she tends to drink more often, lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts