Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're wondering how to go about this. From what I have read, many people set an alarm clock and take puppy potty once at night so it's consistently the same spot outside. The breeder said she feeds them last at 5pm (and water), waits until 6pm for pottying and crates them at night at 8 weeks until 6am with newspaper in the crate... That sounds like way too long? We're talking rough collie. Wouldn't the puppy sit in waste and get used to pottying in the crate?

How did you attack this issue with your large breed puppy?

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
That's 12 hours between outside potty breaks. I consider that too long for my large breed adult dog. He could hold it that long, but it makes him uncomfortable by the morning hours. I do 9-10 pm outside and outside again by 7 am (large breed male adult and medium breed female adult)

For potty training, I would suggest either waking up once in the middle of the night or at minimum, making the last outside break much later in the evening (like 11 pm) and keeping the dog crated near your bed so you can hear whining or pacing.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I think you're right, I wouldn't leave 'em in there.

Here's what I did with mine. Put the crate in my bedroom, play with him till he falls asleep & put him in there, usually 10-11pm. when he wakes me up, carry him outside, then right back in with no chance to play. some crying the first time or two, but he caught on to that routine pretty quick. At 8 weeks seems like we were up at 3 or so, then he was ready for breakfast by 6. After a couple weeks he was making it all night. Another 6 weeks or so after that he was housebroke.

·
Registered
44 Posts
When Murphy was that small, we took him out 2-3 times per night at first. The first couple nights he would wake us up crying, standard new puppy stuff. We wouldn't say anything, carried him outside, let him do his thing, and right back into the crate. After about a week the occasional 3rd trip fell away, and we found he only needed 2 night time breaks. After a couple of days, we decided to schedule them instead of waiting for him to wake us up. So he'd be put to bed around 10:30, potty at 2am, potty at 5am, up at 7. Round about 10 weeks, we dropped the 2nd potty break and moved the 1st to 3:30 am. Then 3:45. Then 4. As long as he was still sleeping when we got up, we moved the potty break back by 15 minutes. By the time the potty break was happening at 5 and he was still sound asleep, we dropped it altogether, and he hasn't needed to be taken out at night since. Probably for only the first three weeks did we have to do nighttime potty breaks for him.

Oh, we also take water up around 8:30, which is an hour after dinner. Otherwise I think he would have taken longer to be able to make it through the night.

·
Registered
329 Posts
For Sasha, last potty was at 11pm and then I'd get her up sometime between 2:30 and 4:30. My bladder is our alarm clock.

·
Registered
143 Posts
hey sasha. our puppy's name is sasha too. born same time(21st of oct 2011). great pyrenees mommy, golden retriever daddy.

I am having difficulty with her letting me know when potty needs to happen. she's 3 to 4 months old. This is what i do for our puppy...

**this depends on what my scheduled hours are for that day, so ya, a little chaotic**... She is fed at 7am, Potty/Take Oldest to school 750/8am, Play Time then Potty Break. Then comes the tricky part. If i work an early shift she gets fed 'n water at 9pm taken out at 10pm, play time for an hr then another potty break at midnight. However if i work until closing then its until 1045 before we get back home and then its a quick potty break then fed/water by 11 then potty break at midnight/1230am, then again about 2am*if she managed to start eating before i can remove the food from the floor*. A few times she's good until 7am*sparodic and few 'n far between*, otherwise she goes out again about 5am*trying to extend this to 7am but kinda hard as she isnt able to do this on a regular basis yet*. We have managed to get her up to 5 hrs in the past month of owning her.

We are treating her potty issues like Puppy Potting Training 101.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts