Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a puppy soon and I'm trying to determine the best way to handle night time potty breaks. I will be crating at night right near my bed where puppy is able to see me for comfort. With my current dog, I crated at night as a pup and let her control the bathroom breaks- which worked fine, till she caught on ;) first off, I felt pretty anxious at night for the first little while; the combined fears of me not waking up to her crying and my neighbors waking up first, her not giving me the right signs she needed out and having an accident, were slightly overwhelming. And after probably less than a week she realized crying=Being let out.

So, I've been reading a lot about controlling potty breaks. Starting them at 2 hours a piece and increasing the time between them gradually. I think this would make me feel much more at ease despite limiting MY sleep. But I'm concerned that this will get pup in a routine of waking up every couple hours. Has anyone used this method and found it to be effective? Ineffective? Cause routine nighttime waking? Any other ideas for handling nights?

Puppy will be 8 wks old. Male Australian shepherd.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
We set an alarm with our pup. We typically go to bed at 10 and get up at 6, so we set the alarm for 2:00. It worked really well and we were able to gradually move the alarm time back until he was sleeping through the night.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts