Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who are still potty training or when you were potty training during hot summer nights do you pick up the water?? I feel bad not letting Benji have water 24/7 but he usually doesn't want it as much as he did today. Needless to say with the weather being the way it has today he's happily drinking water as I type and I know I will be taking him out yet again.

He's a ball of energy right now which I don't understand at all because he only had 1 nap today while I was at work (assuming he slept the entire time).

·
Registered
339 Posts
I did always (when I was potty training the puppy), just an hour or two before bed time. However, if my pup was really really thirsty or it was really hot, I would give her ice cubes to quench her thirst and cool her down. The ice gave her something to do so it took her mind off of her initial big thirst. And in the end, because the ice had to melt in order for her to get the water, she got her water very gradually and less than what she would of gulped down if she was given a full bowl so her bladder wouldn't be so full.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I potty trained my puppy during the summer in Texas. Water got taken up about an hour and a half before bed and he didn't get any until the next morning. Heat was never an issue. However, there was air conditioning in the house and when I took him out at night to pee, while it wasn't anywhere near hot (because it was night), we also didn't run around and play so he wasn't getting extra tired and thirsty.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have air conditioning because I hate it and would never use it. Benji was panting last night around midnight after laying down for about 2.5 hours. And unfortunately it is still very hot here at night. Maybe not so much hot as it is humid so it still feels very warm. You could wear beach clothes and be hot here at night. Last night the temperature was still in 80's at midnight and this morning at 9am its already 86!

I think the problem is he is just full of energy. I play with him all day and take him on multiple walks. I literally forgot to make myself dinner because I was so busy playing with him and running around with him! I thought maybe my body heat and all the blankets on the bed were making him hot so I put him down in his crate (which he prefers to me now anyway) hoping he'd calm down. I didn't see any panting after that.

I will try ice cubes.

·
Registered
471 Posts
We never restricted Cali's water.. although she usually didn't drink any until after 8 or so anyways. When she was really young, we put it in her crate with her and she never did pee in her crate.. she always managed to hold it until morning. I just took her out a few times about a half hour before bed and she was fine. :)

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Hamilton doesn't get water in his crate. He'd just spill it everywhere and make a mess. He has unrestricted access to water all day, however. At night, as far as we can tell, he just sleeps.. or lays in quiet contemplation... either way he's quiet. He doesn't make a beeline for the water bowl in the morning either (even after he's peed!) so I don't think it's a big concern.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts