Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a new British bulldog puppy called Mabel she is 5 months old. We have only currently had her since the 18-02-12.

At night her bed is in her kitchen so she has full access to her water & her puppy pads. Her bed has toy & a blanket which she is familiar with. At night we put a hot water bottle under the blanket on her bed & close the kitchen door leaving the living room light on which shines through.

Mabel is settled for the majority of the night but has outbursts of whimpering & barking.

Any advice on how to keep her more settled will be much appreciated, i understand she's only new in our home & it will take some time but i would like her to be as settled as possible.

Many thanks leona x

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Lots of folks here recommend having a new puppy's bed in your bedroom with you. Hearing your breathing, seeing you, smelling you, all that can comfort a puppy that is scared, being in a new home. It doesn't have to be permanent, you can transition her to sleeping anywhere you like as she settles in.

I don't think you need to have access to water and puppy pads at night. Letting her use the pads at night is only giving her the "ok" to pee in the house. It's far better, in my opinion, to take her out in the middle of the night, if she needs a bathroom trip. That way, you are reinforcing that she's supposed to pee outside only.
And, many people also recommend limiting access to water right before bedtime, like an hour or two before bedtime. By 5 months, she may not even need a bathroom trip.

And, if you have her in your bedroom, you can hear if she stirs at night, because she needs a trip outside.

Really, being close to you can go a long way to comfort her.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would agree with doxiemommy to keep her in the bedroom, but if that is not an option, perhaps switching her bed to a different room. She might be hearing some noise in there at night that you are either used to or can't hear in your bedroom that is causing the barking. Maybe try leaving something with your scent in there as well so she can smell you and be comforted by that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts