Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone, I am new here and would be really grateful for any thoughts or ideas relating to my dog Max.
Max is a lovely boy :) He's a desexed 2,5 yr old Corgi X King Charles Cavalier. He went to puppy school as well as beginner and intermediate obedience training.
My challenge at the moment is to get a good night's sleep!

Ever since Max was a puppy he wakes up at night, as if from a dream, barking as he wakes and running out as if there is an actual threat. Coupled with this, he seems hypersensitive to noise, so if there is actually a stimulus (people walking past the house talking/ someone parking outside the house/ etc etc), he barks.
Max seems to have the same response inside and outside the house.
He sleeps on his bed on the floor in my bedroom when he is inside, and has a kennel outside.
Last night I tried putting his bed in the lounge room and closing my bedroom door. This morning, I am very tired!
What can I do to stop this night barking??
Please help!

·
Registered
539 Posts
I would assess his daily routine... he should have a good amount of stimulation prior to his dinner... maybe a walk, or a run, throwing some toys around the yard. He can catch his breath, get a nice meal in and some down time, allow his food to digest, let out some waste... and then turn on a fan or some white noise in the bedroom that can block out the cricks, creaks and passerbys. It might be hard at first but I think after a while... it might help :) I wish you luck.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I agree with the fan or white noise at night. It might help him tune everything out and get some rest.

My mini dachshund has a similar issue. If he hears something outside, he will generally run to the door and bark. We respond by checking it out, telling him "thank you, we've got it covered" and sending him on his way. Let's say, 10 minutes later, he needs to go out to potty. He seems to remember that he had heard something and when I go to let him out, he wants to run and bark, and find whatever it was (even though he's been quietly playing inside since then).

Or, if he was in the yard, and the neighbor dog was out, he'll go bark at the fence. Then, later, when we're all inside, if I let him out to do his business, he will want to run out and bark at it again, whether it's still there or not! Weird!

So, maybe your guy is really hearing something at night, something that you don't hear, and when he wakes up, he feels he needs to investigate. The white noise may help cover up those little sounds.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you WDMom and Doxiemommy.

I play with Max every day and walk him whenever I can (in a bad week he will get at least 2 walks). He is a very smart little boy, so I will up his walk time and also include more training play.

We had 20 minutes training play yesterday and a 20 minute evening walk. I left his bed in the lounge, where he slept and closed the door. He woke a couple of times, barking, over the first 2 hours of being put to bed, and then once early in the morning. This is an improvement!

I like the white noise idea, although I am a student and try to keep my electricity use down. Perhaps a little radio overnight will do the trick?
Doxiemommy, your dachshund sounds very cute. Max shares his enthusiasm for running out to crazily investigate the source of noise. Thankfully after I have investigated what Max is barking at, he leaves it and distracts himself until there is something else to be vocal about :) Gotta love the little monsters!

We had a lovely 45 minute walk and brief run in the park this morning. I don't know about Max, but if I keep all of this up, I am going to be sleeping very well!!
I am very happy to walk him once a day, but was wondering if 2 walks (say a morning one of 30/45min and an evening one of 30min) is too much? Is it best to walk your dog in the morning or in the evening? I would love him to be restful at bedtime, so am thinking that the evening one is more important. Does anyone have a preference?

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Our dog barks at things that go bump in the night too...including people talking in the courtyard at all hours. She just woofs a couple times and then she'll simmer down if we tell her "it's OK." If something is really bugging her, she'll make us get out of bed to go see what the problem is, but then she shuts up. It's not a bad trait to have in a dog, really - she's guarding the house! But it's a little annoying. We've found that running a small table fan (for the white noise) really helps a lot. Radio might do the trick too.

Two walks per day would definitely not be too much. I think morning and evening are equally important - if Biscuit doesn't get her morning romp in, she'll be unhappy home by herself all day. And if she doesn't get her evening romp, she'll be super annoying at night. Best to do both!

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
The radio would probably be fine! And, I agree, 2 walks a day would be fine. One in the morning and one in the evening would work! And, as you say, a walk before bed may help him sleep more soundly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Doxiemommy. 2 walks a day it is then.
Hamandeggs, I agree that guarding the house is a good trait. Max does go a little mental though - I cannot stop him mid-bark and distract him (my own lack of learning), he has to get it all out and then he will 'Come!'. An evening romp to prevent him from being a super annoying munchkin at night sounds like a very good plan (had to giggle at your description of Biscuit) :)
Will continue with implemented plan to tire the little monster out. I hope his fitness doesn't improve too rapidly though!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts