Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, my puppy (7 weeks old- first night) howled and cried the entire night. I left her in her crate (with the exception of 1 potty break and she went immediately back in).
All day Sunday, every time she fell asleep I put her in the crate and she was fine. At 9pm, she went in to sleep. SHe woke me up at 12:20 and we went potty. If she is asleep when she goes in the crate, she is fine. If she is awake, she cries/howls. Well, it has been an hour and she is still awake- WIDE awake.
I don't want this to be a habit- playtime in the middle of the night. Nor do I want to listen to the howling. What should I do?

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Set an alarm to take the pup out every two hours around the clock. 24/7 for the first month or so. Then you can bump it up to every three hours if the dog stays dry. And jsut think, by 4 months of age you should only have to get up once during the night.

The theory is not to let the dog wake you up by whining to go out. Then the dog has learned that whining gets him out of the crate. IT is up to you to set the schedule and stick to it.

When you take the dog out at night keep everything handy like food rewards, hjacket, flashlight, leash...all in one place. Trynot to turn on too many lights, no sweet talking, just scoop up the pup out of the crate, attach the leash, and head for the door. Give the dog 15 minutes to do business, reward with food, then right back into the crate, lights out.

You can try covering the crate with a light blanket or towel to give it a den-like feeling. And most dogs like to sleep near their owners. I've had a few that were very noisy and ended up sleeping at the other end of the house. If I don't sleep and go to work, then they don't eat. But pups get to go out every two hours no matter what.

She'll get used to the crate routine within a few days to a week usually. Give it time.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
briteday is absolutely spot on. Another thing that can help pup with the transition from being with her mom and littermates is to put a soft stuffed animal (one appropriate for babies so it doesn't have any small parts) in the crate with it. Just make sure pup won't tear it apart.

Having a puppy is like having a baby in many ways including sleepless nights.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My little Aiko was a lot like this too. He wanted to get up and play at night!

Don't take your little one out when he/she is whining, or else they will think that will get him/her out every time and you won't be able to stop the whining....

My little guy is on the schedule (I wake him up) He's 8 weeks.

9:00pm
12:30am
4:00am
7:30am

He is good for going back in the crate when he's done, except for the last one. Then its breakfast time and play time. I usually take him out to potty again around 9:00am and then put him back in the crate.

I put his favorite blanket in there with him. Make sure your little one's bedding is comfortable. Aiko hates sitting on hard floors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts