1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many I assume, I have nicknames for my dogs
Buddy's are: "red" "buddy-meister"
Josefina's are: Jo, Chupinas

What are your dogs nicknames? & do they confused a dog or can they "figure them out" they have never seemed to confuse any of my dogs (past or present) what do you guys think?

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
I think my dog knows exactly who and what I mean by my tone of voice, whether it's "boog" or "booger" or "Roxie" or just "dog". She always responds, even if I use a nickname with a command (try not to though).

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Mia's nickname lately is FartFace. lol

Summer is Dum Dum.

I'm so nice to my dogs.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Buster has lots of nicknames. Bus, Bus Bus, Bussy, Bussy Bear, Pooh Bear, Stinky, Stinky Pooh, Beast, Beast Bear, snoring speed bump, dog fur rug...
He'll also respond if I call the girls. Usually its "Pooh, gotta go outside?" or "Bussy, go walk?!"

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Leeo had so many nicknames it was unreal ... my favorite was Eepie Dooble ... but he answered to them all. Blu Boy I call Boo-Boo most of the time or Blu-Boo. Abbylynn I call Flabby-Abby. ( she is on a diet! ) Eddee is Little Ozz-Man.

I do not think it phases a dog in the least to have a few nicknames. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
When it comes to nick names, I think the dogs go more by the tone of your voice. However, if it's a name close to theirs they'll probably respond like you're saying their name... What I mean is, if it's a random nick name and you have multiple dogs, you're more likely to get multiple dogs to come over. If you use a nick name that's more a shortened version or their name or includes their name, the other dog (assuming dog 2 doesn't come when you call dog 1's name) wont respond.

For example, I have three dogs.
I can call Corky 'Cork' and even 'Cork-ster' and Sandy wont respond, but Corky will (our puppy will come, but only because he wants to see what the other dog is getting).
Sandy doesn't really have a nick name that has to do with his name.
And Mickey gets called Mister Mickers, and he responds to that normally.

However, since Corky and Sandy were our only two dogs for a while, they also got the very creative nicknames of Dog and Puppy. Corky responds to Dog and Sandy to Puppy (Sandy's younger). And surprisingly, Sandy doesn't respond to Dog and Corky doesn't respond to puppy. I guess they eventually learned if we said Dog we were talking about one and if we said Puppy we were talking about the other.

And 'Guys' is our 'name' for all the dogs, and they've actually figured it out. You can call 'guys!' and they all come. You could also call them individually by their names.. or nick names.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Caeda gets pup, pooch, poochable, wigglydog. My DH has a few too, a couple include some profanity, so I won't repeat them here....he doesn't say them mean, its just nicknames
Does it confuse her? Only if I react like she was supposed to listen to me, otherwise she just looks at me like I'm saying any other random word. I tend to talk to her a fair bit, but use a particular tone for cues and a particular tone for "names". She seems to get it!
Its more for our entertainment really :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
I don't think it will affect a dog in the general run of the day type activities. However, if you are into dog sports then you have to be totally consistant with your call name so that you can call the dog and get an instant response if he drifts away from where you want him.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Aleu -> Leu, LeuLeu, Allie - She doesn't pay attention to me no matter what I say do I could call her anything Lol
Diesel -> Deez, D, D.C Deezy, Giant Fluffy, Big Black Dog (this one gets me a funny look of contempt xD ) - All of them work, but the nicknames are more common if I'm not trying to be serious with him
Troubles (omg get ready for this) -> Truff, Duff, McDuffles, McTruffles, Spicka, Speekapeeka, Pikpik, Bubbles, Pickles, Small, Chi, Chichi, chiwa, chihuahua (He likes this one for some reason), strife, strifewife, and sooo many more. - He really does respond to them all, and does understand 'Troubles' is still his actual name.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
The trainer we work with said stick to one to teach him his name, and then he'll figure out the rest.

Hamilton gets Hammie, Ham, Hambonez, Bones, Pupperoni, Dr. McCubbin

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
It's funny, I didn't really mean for this to be a nickname but I often call the dogs "Sir" or "Ma'am" in certain contexts... like...

"Squash, sit."
*doesn't sit*
(in a stern voice) "Sir... sit."

And now Squash answers to "Sir" and some of my friends have started calling him that. "I loved that picture of you and Sir"... lol.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Luke definitely respond more to my tone than anything, but most of his nicknames revolve around his name. Luke, Lukey, Lukey Boy, Lukas, sometimes knucle head or doofus lol

Zoey got a bunch of nicknames fast and most I'm not sure how lol My most common for her is Bean or Beanie, I just started calling her my little bean and it stuck. She's also got Squirt, squirty, poopers (she eats poop) poop head (pretty much poop anything) Zo, zo-bean, beeeeeeenieeee! beeners and of course grem, gremlin or gremmy. She respond to pretty much anything that has the slightest chance of having food involved lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts