Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping this is an active forum. I am looking for some training advice for a 2 yr old high prey drive GSD. He is terrified of other dogs, and is way too pushy with my cats. We have had him only 3 weeks, but I need some ideas to nip all this before it gets out of control.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am hoping this is an active forum. I am looking for some training advice for a 2 yr old high prey drive GSD. He is terrified of other dogs, and is way too pushy with my cats. We have had him only 3 weeks, but I need some ideas to nip all this before it gets out of control.
Hi Covacure! I'm no trainer expert, but I have a dog with similar issues on the Prey Drive. I've found, for my dog, the cure only happened one species at a time and required a very brave example of the other species to accomplish the cure. The first was geese. Problem? Uncontrollable pulling and lunging on the leash everytime he spotted one. The cure? Took about an hour. There was a particularly brave goose I encountered on a walk, and my dog (Carlos) did his standard crazy. I brought a pocket full of treats on that walk though. I took the brave goose as a training opportunity. I spent the next hour walking back and forth over and over on the sidewalk where that goose was bravely and permanently stationed doing a sort of firm "Nnnnt!" combined with treats any moment Carlos turned his attention from goose to me. I looked silly walking back and forth "Nnnting" and treating... but eventually the goose became background noise to him. That was 2 years ago. Geese are still around on our walks, but for him they're still just background noise. Note, this technically took more than that hour. Subsequent walks took subsequent action on my part, but his reactions went down and down quickly until the geese were not worth his notice.

Cats were a much tougher case. Lucky for me my dad has an older tomcat that's been around the block more than once and could probably clear out a coyote pack if needed. This cat was brave and knew how to read dogs. He'd stay just out of reach of Carlos, despite Carlos snapping his jaws with frantic anticipation of chasing and killing, and the cat would maintain the demeanor of calm collected coolness no matter how much Carlos lunged. We're talking full on nervous breakdown need to chase here. Exposure to this brave cat, treats... "Nnnnts!" over many visits and now Carlos is cool with cats. I'm convinced, though, that without that brave cats to use as a training tool it would not have been possible. Maybe my dad should hire that cat out to dog trainers?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts