Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, My family and I just adopted a 3 year old Siberian Husky named Jack a couple of days ago Saturday. The previous owners had to find him a new home due to landlord issues with the Jack. He has already takin a liking to me and won't let me leave his eye sight. Great dog but I can't get him to eat any of his treats or dog food. He will only eat human food from my hand and chew on his raw hide bone. I've owned other dogs from puppies before, but this is my first adoption. Btw, I have no other dogs at this time. He will also not eat any food from his Kong (human or dog) or will not go in his crate (he is crate trained).

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Are you feeding the same food? If not you might try it. What kind of food are you feeding?

He's probably a little stressed. How often and for how long are you walk/jogging him? He needs to go twice a dau for about 45 min each time. It relieves stress, and will boost his appetite and help you bond.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We feed him Purina Beneful, but he was on Kibbels 'n' Bits. I was told Kibbels was more of a puppy food and didn't have the protein he needed. I walk him every morning when I get up and every evening a little while after we eat.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Both of those are really bad foods with great advertising. Go to www.dogfoodanalysis.com or www.dogfoodadvisor.com and find a 5 star or better food.

Walk him briskly or jog about 45 min to an hr twice a day. It will really help him. Huskies are high energy dogs and need a lot of exercise or they will be very destructive. They can also jump/climb fences so keep an eye on him, and make sure he has ID tags on his collar at all times.

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
oh god, beneful and kibbles n bits....yeah get a better food. www.dogfoodadvisor.com is a bit easier to navigate and explains things better than www.dogfoodanalysis.com and separated grades for the food a bit better imo. 4-5 stars there would be best though obviously you want to feed 5 star if possible. Or even better, feed raw.

Also reading around the reviews helps tell you what to look for and what to avoid in commercial dog foods.

As for not eating, it's relatively normal for a newly adopted dog to not want to eat due to the stress of environmental changes.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yeah, change foods! please! there is sooo much filler, bad preservatives and sugar in both foods. If you cant afford the higher end foods, look at Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul, or Kirkland. Both are cheaper foods, but have 100 x better ingredients in them than Kibbles'n'Bits and Beneful! I would let my dog eat tomatoes and onions before feeding those!!!

·
Registered
649 Posts
being a foster home I have found that it is not uncommon for a dog to not eat within the first 2 -3 weeks but try not giving him people food because if he knows he can get that from you it is way better than kibble so that might help. also I love raw diet but it is your choice a kibble I do love for picky dogs is solid gold. It is smelly and thats what I give to my foster dogs who won't eat anything The rescue does not provide raw food or that is what i would feed my fosters.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts