Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted a black mouth cur yesterday 3/23/12, she was spayed 3/22/12. We were told she is already a very shy, skiddish dog and she definently exhibited that behavior when we brought her home, but she warmed up to our kids rather quick (ages 1, 2 and 5) since we brought her home around 1pm 3/23/12 she has only drunk a couple sips of water and ate maybe an adult size handful of food. She has not eaten or drank anything at all today, 3/24/12. I was able to get her to eat out of my hand last night while she was laying down about an hour and a half after I gave her her pain pill, then I scooted her dog bowl up to her and she nibbled while laying down, then before we went to bed we finally got her to drink a little. She has urinated twice today (3/24/12) but has not had a bowel movement since we've brought her home, over 24 hours ago, which im sure is normal since she hasnt really ate. I'm really worried about her, could her not eating be a mix of being in a new home and just have gotten spayed? She is 1 yr 7 months old. All she does is lay around and sleep since we brought her home. I know some dogs don't eat when they come to a new home..but not drinking either?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
That can be normal after spaying and when in a new place. Can you boil some boneless, skinless chicken and white rice, and offer her a little of that several times a day. Then mix it in with her dog food, and slowly wean her off it.
Or you can try offering her some canned dog food, that you warm in the microwave first. Check it's temp thotroughly so there aren't any scalding spots, before feeding. Warmed food is smellier and more attractive to dogs. Or try offering her some meat flavored baby food (without onions which can be toxic).

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I agree with Nikes. And your assumption about the new home is probably correct. It can a a confident dog about two weeks to relax in a new home, when they're healthy. Your girl has moved from a different home, had major surgery in a strange place, and now she's in another strange place, so she's confused and in pain. Be gentle and calm with her, and try to set up a regular predictable schedule, and she should relax. Keep fresh water for her all the time... and be prepared for a few accidents as she learns the new smells.

Tomorrow, she should feel better, and the boiled chicken should be more appealing. Check her general temperature - she should feel warm, but not hot - dogs run at about 101 F degrees... just a little warmer than people. And, watch her incision - it should look clean and not inflamed much. I don't think you need to be worried, but you do have to watch any dog that's been spayed, first to keep them comfortable... and then to keep them quiet, when they're feeling better... If the dog is lethargic and still not eating by Monday, then I suggest calling the Vet ... they should be able to tell you if she is doing OK, over the phone.

Make sure that you give her a handful of food before you give her the pain meds, b/c they might upset her stomach.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts