Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! So I recently adopted a new dog. He's a a pit bull. I work at the rescue so I've known him for a while and it took me almost a year to finally decide to take him home. I have 2 other dogs and everyone gets along great! while he was at the rescue we would allow him to play with other dogs (mostly other bully breeds) and he was great. it was a great way to allow him to drain his energy from being in a kennel all day.
Now he's a happy country/farm dog and spends his days at a full sprint most times.
I bring my dogs to work with me occasionally and sometimes I will let him play with his old friends. The problem is that he no longer really wants to play with other dogs. He's not aggressive or mean to other dogs but he just ignores their invitation to plAy.
It's like now that he has his own little pack, he doesn't want to accept any other dogs. I'm worried that his standoffish behavior could turn into aggression if other dogs pushed hard enough.

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
He could be maturing and settling into a more dog selective temperament. Is he maybe around 3 years old?

He could be more tired out from having regular daily exercise and not want to be "bothered" by the dogs in the shelter who are bursting with pent up energy.

Also consider that a YEAR in a kennel is a long time and having a home allows a dog to mentally decompress and let their full personality blossom. Dogs in homes are different than dogs in kennelas.

Simplest answer is just don't take him to work with you. Sounds like he does not need the play group for execise anymore and your other dogs provide an outlet for dog-dog interaction.

Personally, i would not bring my owned dogs to a shelter location for play due to risks of disease (depends on the set for vaccinating incoming dogs and quarantine period of course) and in this dog's case, risk of fights

·
Registered
473 Posts
All of my dogs (5) have "gotten over" play at a certain age. I don't think you have anything to worry about but it would be a good idea imo to keep him meeting other dogs other than those he lives with on a regular basis. I made this mistake once. Sybbie seemed perfectly socialized when I got her but at the time I had another dog with limited mobility so we didn't go out to parks and keep it up and now she is showing signs of reactivity (barking mostly on leash.) I'm having to repair what started out as not broken. I blame myself. What I'm trying to say is I don't think your dog is showing any problem behaviors but just because he doesn't want to play doesn't mean he doesn't need to be around other dogs regularly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts