Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I adopted Olli about a month ago. Olli is a 10 year old beagle/chihuahua mix. From what I'm told, he was recently turned into a shelter because his family couldn't take care of him anymore.

When we are together, I never hear a peep from him. Maybe some mild crying, but nothing unbearable. He mostly is just snuggled up nearby sleeping. He's housetrained, leash trained. Good dog. Last week, I got a call from my apartment that Olli is uncontrollably barking all day. I couldn't believe it, so I recorded him on my computer. He sat by my dog from the time I left to the time I got home and HOWLED. Never heard him make this noise before.

After talking to the vet and researching online, sounds like Olli has separation anxiety. It's understandable. He's been through a lot in the last couple of months. I am trying the pheromone collar and DAP diffuser for 3 days now. I videoed him again today and more howling. He used to have free reign of the apartment, but I thought being close to the door was only worse. For him and the neighbors! So I put him in my bedroom, hoping that between the music playing in here and the TV outside it drowns out any barking. And that the DAP and pheromone would help calm him.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I understand I need to work with him to recognize that when I leave I come back. But in the meantime, I can't have my neighbors complain again and him get the boot. I've heard doggie daycare and taking him to work with me, but those aren't quite options we have.

I'm frustrated for my neighbors cause I can't listen to more than 10 minutes of the video. I'm frustrated for Olli because he's obviously upset. And I'm frustrated for myself cause I just am at a total loss!

Thank you =)

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
You can work on making you leaving more enjoyable for him and build up his confidence that you are coming back. I'd leave him things to do while you're gone so he isn't focused on you not being there. Try a frozen kong to start and see if he'll work on it while youre gone. On evenings and weekends you can work on leaving briefly then coming back calmly and slowly working up the amount of time you're gone for.

Crate games so he feels really secure in his crate could help too. There are some good videos on YouTube of how to teach this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts