Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there! So I've been browsing around some forums looking for some advice on my new boy, but haven't found anything with advice on what I'm lookin' for.

Backstory... I volunteer at the Humane Society in my area (have been for about 3 years) and also have a 6 year old Australian Shepherd at home. Anyhow, a month ago I saw the most beautiful, regal, intelligent border collie mix come into the shelter as an owner surrender. I do obedience training and walking at the shelter, so I spent a lot of time with him. After three weeks of no takers, my boyfriend and I adopted him and brought him home last Friday.

He was a bit timid at first, but within the first day was comfortable with our Aussie and our cat. He was also food shy for the first day. Over the week, he's gotten more brave, plays for hours with the cat, tugs rope with the dog, he eats and drinks well, his coat is shiny and healthy, he's not lethargic at all (unless he's napping on the couch!)... but one thing that had me nervous was his dry nose and gums.

His nose has been dry-ish since he got home, and it was never really super moist at the shelter. It's not hot, his paws aren't hot, and his gums are a nice, healthy color, they react normal to the "press test" for blood pressure, but they are also a bit dry. Not sticky dry, but not slick either. Could this just be stress or adjusting, if he's normal and healthy otherwise? I'm probably over reacting... but he's my special boy and the first dog I just HAD to have at the shelter, and now that he's *my* kid, I've turned into a crazy mother! haha :)

Thanks for any help!

Brittany

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
My old old girl, Sassy, has kidney disease and gets dehydrated very easily. I really like her nose and gums to be good and wet. Before she started getting extra fluids under the skin her nose was always dry and now it is wet much of the time. Perhaps the stress is making him pant more and he needs a bit more water than he is taking in right now.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I tend to agree with the link Josh posted. Some dogs just have naturally drier noses. Spunky's nose is never really wet. Just familiarize yourself with the typical texture of his nose so you know if it's drier or wetter than usual. A deviation from norm is more concerning than any definitive level of wet or dry.

I would take him to the vet for a full check-up -- the nose doesn't worry me so much, but I think all new dogs should get a medical done upon arriving home. But honestly, it doesn't sound like anything to stress about.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts