Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Need some sensible advice.

I acquired an 8 yr old golden retriever/collie bitch named Lacey about 3 months ago. She belonged to my brother who mostly kept her outside with another dog. His wife got cancer so they needed to make things simpler in life...I offered to take her instead of seeing her go to the humane league.

I also have a male bischon/maltese mix who's also 8. His name is Oscar.

Oscar and lacey get along GREAT!

Last week I had to put down another dog that I had who was a 14 1/2 yr old Samoyed. I had her since she was a pup. She was having kidney failure and kept peeing in the house. It got so stressful that I finally had to face up and have her put down which was a terrible experience.

Since I had her put down last week, Lacey has started peeing in the house (and she's pooped once).

I am so upset! I had the carpets cleaned just after I put the Samoyed down, and now this!

I did mention that I had Lacey for 3 months prior and nothing like this has happened. It's only started since I put the Samoyed down.

Today she peed in the house even after she had spent a great deal of time with me while I was gardening outside.

I am an experienced dog owner but I am totally at a loss as to how to handle this.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Becky

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You go back to housetraining 101. It's not uncommon for dogs to 'forget' their training but, a quick refresher course usually takes care of the problem quickly. No more unsupervised freedom in the house. Crate or confine when you can't supervise.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I agree on going back to the basics of house training. Make sure that dogs are "on empty" (have gone pee and poo when you know they need to) before they come inside and have free roam. If they do not go, confine to smaller area or crate as needed until they become more reliable again. Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't mean to sound ignorant, as I am an experienced pet owner, BUT its been a LONG time since I've house broke a dog.

Can someone give me a quick run down on how you think I should approach a refresher course for an 8 yr old, 100 lb dog, who's never been crated?? I also have a very open plan house, so confining is extremely hard as well.

Thanks so much for any advice. I am so grateful!

Becky

·
Registered
707 Posts
Take the dog out as often as possible (after eating, drinking, sleeping, playing) and praise and reward every time she goes outside. If she has not gone potty outside you want to keep a really close eye on her when bringing her back inside so she cannot have an accident without being interrupted and taken back outside. If you cannot confine her or crate her, keep her leashed or in the same room with you at all times so you can catch her if she starts to have an accident.

Also, just to add, have you made sure she has a clean bill of health? Many times accidents indoors can mean a health issue, UTI, things along those lines.
Hope that helps. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very helpful. Thank you!

I've taken her to the vet for grooming only, not any health issues. I could look into that, but will most likely try the training thing first since vet bills are not an option for now unless absolutely necessary of course.

I really appreciate the response. Will take that on immediately and see if it works.

becky

·
Registered
90 Posts
Another thing you can try is shampooing the carpet. I use water and vinegar to kill the odors of pee that only the dogs can smell. Then I go over it again with something that smells good. Sometimes it means your house smelling a bit like vinegar or shampooing two times, but it's worth it if it discourages peeing inside. If they smell the pee of the other dog, and she's now gone, they may want to cover her smell with their own in order to take her place. (But never in our hearts!) Good luck and I'm sorry for the loss of your Samoyed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you youmeandpupmakes3! I will try that.

Everybody's been so helpful. I appreciate it. I will re-post in a few days with any progress...hopefully there will be some!

Becky

·
Registered
2 Posts
One of the reasons can be that the dog is missing the other one. I think the situation isn't hopeless as any dog, doesn't matter the age, can be trained and retrained. In the meantime I would use a pet odor neutralizer to prevent any odor. She may sniff around to find the exact same spot she went the last time. Another suggestion - don’t use ammonia based cleaners as they break down into urea, which is a part of urine.
Hope your problem will solve soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts