Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I just adopted a 5yr old Newfoundland today and was wondering how much water is too much water for her? She has drank at least 12 us quarts of water since 9 am this morning and more before I started measuring. Is that too much for them?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Wow, that translates to at least 384 ounces. The average amount is 1 fluid ounce per pound of body weight per day. Of course, things like temperature and exertion levels affect that, but that much (3+ gallons!) seems excessive.This article discusses things that can affect their water intake. Dog Always Thirsty? How Much Water Is Too Much? It would be a good idea to have her checked by a vet as soon as possible, to make sure that she's not showing any other signs of possible problems.

My German Shepherd has always drank more than any other dog I've ever owned, and even she only goes through a couple of quarts a day.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think that much water in that time frame would lead to water toxicity in a human, which can be fatal. When you say "just adopted" do you mean you just brought her home at 9 a.m., and she's been drinking ever since? Are you sure of your measure? I would allow any more water today/tonight, and at least talk to a vet over the phone ASAP. Getting her to a vet would be better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, that translates to at least 384 ounces. The average amount is 1 fluid ounce per pound of body weight per day. Of course, things like temperature and exertion levels affect that, but that much (3+ gallons!) seems excessive.This article discusses things that can affect their water intake. Dog Always Thirsty? How Much Water Is Too Much? It would be a good idea to have her checked by a vet as soon as possible, to make sure that she's not showing any other signs of possible problems.

My German Shepherd has always drank more than any other dog I've ever owned, and even she only goes through a couple of quarts a day.
I think that much water in that time frame would lead to water toxicity in a human, which can be fatal. When you say "just adopted" do you mean you just brought her home at 9 a.m., and she's been drinking ever since? Are you sure of your measure? I would allow any more water today/tonight, and at least talk to a vet over the phone ASAP. Getting her to a vet would be better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for replying. Ya every time we would go to the sink to do something she would jump up on counter and go for the faucet like she really wanted water. I’m going to try to get her into the vet today to see what’s going on

1 - 9 of 9 Posts