Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting a newfoundland and really want to duck hunt him. What do you guys think? I know he's big but, they are practically made for the water. Soooo, opinions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Why not consider a Nove Scotia duck tolling retriever? They were made for that kind of activity and are much smaller.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I would say it's not what we think, it's what your Newfie will think about the duck program. Also getting a wet Newfie in your car/svu/truck will be interesting due to size etc. It's definitely possible with the right dog but getting the right dog with drives needed could be the problem.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I'd second that. Different breeds come with different instincts. I've never had to train a retriever to play fetch, they just naturally bring stuff back. (It's not a guarantee, mind you, some retrievers apparently have no interest at all in retrieving.) My German Shepherd mix could get positively obnoxious with the herding. If duck hunting is something you really want to do with your dog, how are you going to feel about the dog if he shows neither interest nor aptitude for it?

·
Registered
943 Posts
In my opinion I would opt for either a lab or a nova scotia duck toller.. I've seen people actually "practice" their duck hunting with these dogs at dog parks. I've been houseboating before and this couple had two duck tollers and I mean we were in the middle of the water for 5 days straight and these dogs barely came out of the water lol.

I don't know much about the newfoundlands though like everyone said it depends on the dog and their instincts but if you really want to hunt I'd try to look for a dog that is born with the instincts to hunt/retrieve, with the swimming capabilities :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts