Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello i have brindle and white pitbull that just had 9 healthy puppies. i recently adopted her from a shelter and found out about a month later she was gonna have babies. i was unable to find out what she was bred with but from the looks of her puppies they look like normal pit bull terriers, some kinda look like pit/boxer mix. since i am new to raising pit bull puppies i am not sure if i should give them away when they are old enough or sell them. they will have all required vet visits prior to them leaving. my question is if i do decide to sell the puppies what is a reasonable price for them? i am not really looking to make money off of them i just wanna make sure they go to good loving homes and maybe get some of my money back for the vet visits.

thank you,
cory

1337446812310.jpg

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
I would get them each spayed/neutered and sell them for the price of the spay/neuter cost.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
You should charge enough to discourage dog fighters and bunchers (people who sell animals to laboratories). This amount will vary depending on the going rate where you live. You need to screen the propective new owners VERY carefully, especially since the pups are pit mixes. This means calling their vet (if they don't have a vet, they shouldn't have a dog), calling their landlord, finding out what happened to their previous pets, etc. You should probably have the puppies spayed/neutered before tranferring ownership. . .I don't really like pediatric spay/neuter for dogs but under the circumstances I think it's advisable. Or at least follow up with the new owners to make sure they have it done before the dog is of reproductive age.

Don't send any pup to a new home before 8 weeks. No matter what. They learn a lot of valuable dog lessons from their mother and littermates at that age.

You should contact a pit bull rescue. They'll have a lot of helpful info on how to find responsible homes.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
I would go as long as 12 weeks. Then you can tell potential adopters the personalities of each pup and make sure they're healthy for sure. I agree with no pediatric s/n but like you said, under the circumstances it's a good idea.

Willowy--What if they are a first time dog owner and that is why they don't have a vet? Though I think that a pit isn't necessarily a great first time breed, it's still something to think about.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you for the replies. i am going to make my own adoption application to ensure they go to good homes. i am also going to do plenty of meet and greets with the owners prior to the puppy leaving with them. i want to make sure if they have and kids or pets that the puppy or other animal will get along with them. i am also doing home visits prior to make sure the living conditions are safe and clean for the puppy. i was thinking of charging $300 a puppy and i agree that they will not leave my home prior to 8 weeks of age.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Willowy--What if they are a first time dog owner and that is why they don't have a vet? Though I think that a pit isn't necessarily a great first time breed, it's still something to think about.
Then they would tell you they've never had a pet before and that's why they don't have a vet, and you can help them find the right vet. But if they have EVER had a pet before, they'd better have a vet you can contact, even if that vet lives somewhere else.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I would get them each spayed/neutered and sell them for the price of the spay/neuter cost.
I agree with this.
Perhaps sell {"adopt"} them out on a contract of needing to have them altered? pits are really a breed that is just so easy to end up in the wrong hands and not just in the hands of bunchers and fighters. There are people who will get a pit for it's looks, and raise the dog wrong, then there are people who will get a pit because they've bought into the bawing of "PIBBLES 5 EVR.>2/1?!/" and think they don't have to manage their dog or train or anything else .
People will get them and breed them until there's nothing left of them. I've seen it too many times. Someone here was wanting a stud for their 6 MONTH OLD Pit pup, which made it clear that was his only reason for having a pit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
most of the people wanting the puppies are current co-workers of mine that i see on a daily basis. i do have a few strangers that one and i will dig into there history to make sure the puppy wont end up,dead,pregnant,mean or in a shelter.

·
Registered
367 Posts
She wasn't fixed when you adopted her from a shelter? Usually this is part of the process when you adopt. You are taking this all very well, I would be a nervous wreck. How long after you got her did she have the puppies? Good Luck in finding them all good homes:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
when i adopted her they told me and showed me her papers saying she was fixed and 6 months old. i had her for a lil over a month and noticed her belly was large and not a norm large. i had a dog a few years back that had pups and i new she was pregnant. i then took her to my local vet and sure enough she was around 32 days or more and is around 1.5 years old. i got her march 29th and she had her pups this morning. i did get in contact with the shelter and they wanted to abort the puppies and informed me the previous owners info was false and a false number was given to the shelter. i have received no further help from the shelter so im looking at getting my base legal involved to try and get assistance from the shelter since they lied and didn't want to help.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
So she got pregnant under your care (if you had her over a month and she was 32 days along. . .)? Or at the shelter? If the shelter offered to spay/abort I don't think you'll have a case getting them to help financially. They offered assistance; you declined. Just because you didn't like their form of assistance doesn't mean you're entitled to extra money.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
she didn't get pregnant under my care. she was never around males while i had her.i think the previous owners didnt want to deal with a pregnant dog so they surrendered her at the local shelter and i got her 3 days after she was placed in the shelter.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I can't see getting 300 for a pitt mix. I was thinking around 50. if they have first shots and 150. if they are fixed and have 1st shots...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i have seen a few go for 50 with no shots or nothing and ones with shots go for around 200 out here

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I can't see getting 300 for a pitt mix. I was thinking around 50. if they have first shots and 150. if they are fixed and have 1st shots...
I was thinking that, too. But, it may depend on the cost of living in the area. Like I said, you want to ask enough to discourage bad guys, but not so much you discourage the good guys. It wouldn't be hard for them to get a free pit mix pup, so be reasonable.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Call a rescue and get their application and contract. Since you're new at this, you'll overlook important points of a proper contract. And why reinvent the wheel when rescues already have all this already made. I'd probably speuter the pups prior to placement. I'm not normally into speutering that early, but in this case, there's just too much risk involved in leaving the pups intact.

I also agree you'll get nothing from the shelter. They offered you a solution you really should have taken, you didn't take it, that's on you.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I also agree you'll get nothing from the shelter. They offered you a solution you really should have taken, you didn't take it, that's on you.
+1
Where I live Pits/Pit mixes are a dime a dozen and hardly anyone besides dogfighters wants them because most apartment complexes like mine don't allow them.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I also think you should spay and neuter them prior to placement. You can look for low-cost options. If you give your location, maybe people here (including myself) can look for resources for you.

Regarding the cost of adoptions, I think $50 is too low to discourage bad people. I think $100 should be a minimum -- but that should come with spay/neuter and first shots (for 8-12 weeks old puppies), second shots (for 12-16 week old puppies), and third shots (for 16+ week old puppies, if you have them that long). I think over $200 will probably be too high for a lot of adopters.

You should really look into programs for stimulating puppies' growing nervous systems. I'm not a breeder and I don't know much about this, but they need to experience all different stimuli from pretty much day one -- other animals, full-body handling, different noises, different kinds of people (gender, age), etc. It will make them stronger and more adaptable when they are older.

I agree. It would have been the better choice.

·
Registered
514 Posts
when i adopted her they told me and showed me her papers saying she was fixed and 6 months old. i had her for a lil over a month and noticed her belly was large and not a norm large. i had a dog a few years back that had pups and i new she was pregnant. i then took her to my local vet and sure enough she was around 32 days or more and is around 1.5 years old.
I don't understand what possible motive someone could have for going to the trouble to falsify documents for a dog that they were giving to the shelter. Why would they want the shelter to think she was spayed, and only 6 months old?

Are you sure you didn't get her from the previous owner yourself? No offense, but this shelter thing is kind of odd.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Call a rescue and get their application and contract. Since you're new at this, you'll overlook important points of a proper contract. And why reinvent the wheel when rescues already have all this already made. I'd probably speuter the pups prior to placement. I'm not normally into speutering that early, but in this case, there's just too much risk involved in leaving the pups intact.

The best thing you could do is contact a pitbull rescue and have them look after the adoption end of things. You can still keep and raise the pups, but they should be able to help with any supplies you might need (like loan you an xpen etc...), help screen the homes and place the pups on petfinder so they do find great homes. You won't make any money off of them BUT you also won't end up having to chase down people to make sure the pups were spayed and are in good homes. If you choose to keep one, you'd be adopting it from the rescue as well, but then spay/neuter would be covered. Depending on the area, they might also do mom for you at a reduced rate, but I would also really question WHY the shelter thought she was six months and spayed if she wasn't. But it could be a case of she came into season, got bred and the owners doctored up the paperwork and dropped her off before she showed but after she came out of season.

See if the rescue can post them on petfinder NOW, or within the next few weeks, so they will have homes lined up instead of a rush when they're ready. The litter I fostered, the rescue was going to wait till 8 weeks and I told them to do it at 4, it worked out really well because people came before the pups were ready and helped socialize, were able to get all their stuff ready and almost all the pups went home at the 8 week mark.

For raising pups, www.dogbreedinfo.com has a lot of great information. Reading that I know I'd never want to breed large breed dogs, it's a lot of work!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts