Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

New to the forum! My husband and I just adopted a 9 week old cockapoo/sheltie mix named Maverick. He lost his mother when he was very young, and received no training or reprimanding from his foster mother.

I thought the easiest way to train this puppy would be to assert my dominance over him. I have seen very passive dogs and they are so easy to train. I was raised with puppies but I admit my mom did most of the training and I've never dealt with a rescue before.

He bites constantly, no matter how much I say no sternly, say ouch, flick his mouth, pinch his bottom (something I've heard the mothers do to teach their pups). He just barks very snarkily and gets more aggressive.

Also, he is fine in his crate, but when he is confined to the kitchen (where he has to be when we go to work, he freaks out and cries really loudly, and even managed to escape.

I'm so frustrated, especially because I can't just tell him to respect me and behave. Advice??!

·
Registered
14 Posts
For patch i used the loud ouch followed instantley by 10 secs of folded arms and turning my back on him, it took a week or so for it to stop completley but it does work if your consistant and do it as soon as teeth touch skin.

When your at work or the shops or whereever he will be ok in the crate for a while (upto 4 hours for an adult dog, less for a puppy due to not being potty trained).

Welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Hi everyone,

New to the forum! My husband and I just adopted a 9 week old cockapoo/sheltie mix named Maverick. He lost his mother when he was very young, and received no training or reprimanding from his foster mother.

I thought the easiest way to train this puppy would be to assert my dominance over him. I have seen very passive dogs and they are so easy to train. I was raised with puppies but I admit my mom did most of the training and I've never dealt with a rescue before.

He bites constantly, no matter how much I say no sternly, say ouch, flick his mouth, pinch his bottom (something I've heard the mothers do to teach their pups). He just barks very snarkily and gets more aggressive.

Also, he is fine in his crate, but when he is confined to the kitchen (where he has to be when we go to work, he freaks out and cries really loudly, and even managed to escape.

I'm so frustrated, especially because I can't just tell him to respect me and behave. Advice??!
Hello and welcome! :)

The dominance thing went out the window a while back. :)

There are some really good stickies in the training forum such as "The bite stops here" and "NILIF" (nothing in life is free) that you could read to begin with. I rescued a 4 week old pup last year and had some major issues for a while. Many of the things I have learned and had help with even though I have had dogs and trained my dogs for over 40 years ... helped get him back on track.

Also I like anything written by Ian Dunbar. :)

Honestly speaking ... pinching or picking the puppy up like it's Mom ... or many other things we as humans think will work ... will only make it worse because dogs know we are human. It will just teach your puppy not to trust you because you cause it pain. Your pup will become afraid of you and that will be harder to undo than it is to begin in a positive way.

There is also information on crate training. :) Once again positive introduction to the crate is vital. Everything about the crate should have a positive outcome for the pup. All good things happen in the crate.

I put my pups in the crate and give them a bed, food dish, water dish, safe toys, and a treat or a kong filled with a treat to keep them busy. This makes their crate a safe and fun place to be. :)

Time and patience are going to be your friends ... and much reading, advice from knowledgeable folks, and no more dominance. :)

And please do not forget to post pics of your pup! I bet it is adorable! and Good luck! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts