Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I recently adopted an adorable shih tzu from a local shelter. The poor baby was living in a puppy mill for the first few years of his life. He's generally doing great and adapting well to a much more pampered life. With that said, I'm having a lot of difficulty with walking him. Despite training, he only wants to walk on the leash when he wants to. He's quite persuasive, as he will literally throw himself down on the ground (head and all) and simply refuse to budge. At first it was kind of cute...now, it's a bad habit and getting worse and worse. I'm trying not to encourage it, but what am I supposed to do. It's not like I can leave him lying there on the sidewalk. I try to be friendly and playful and then stern...and then end up picking him up. help! :)

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Hello and welcome! :)

Your little guy being from a mill may be afraid of the ground and different textures. He may have lived in a cage his whole life? :( I have no ideas as to how to acclimate him to being on different surfaces .... but I am sure someone with more knowledge will come along.

Also ... looking forward to pics of him! :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts