Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to introduce myself. Hoping to get some good advice on my pets. 3 dogs, 2 cats, and 2 hermit crabs. My biggest concern right now is my Great Pyrenees. He had surgery for anal stricture and phisulars (I know I spelled that wrong). Now he has total bowel incontinence. Before this he had diarrhea for a very long time. Numerous visits to the vet and had tried everything. He won't let me clean him up at all. He also since he was young had some aggression problems. Tried to kill one dog and one cat. So now he can not come into the house at all. I do walk him everyday and he has a large fenced in back yard. He is almost 5 yrs. old. I just don't know what to do anymore and am very stressed over the situation. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Just wanted to introduce myself. Hoping to get some good advice on my pets. 3 dogs, 2 cats, and 2 hermit crabs. My biggest concern right now is my Great Pyrenees. He had surgery for anal stricture and phisulars (I know I spelled that wrong). Now he has total bowel incontinence. Before this he had diarrhea for a very long time. Numerous visits to the vet and had tried everything. He won't let me clean him up at all. He also since he was young had some aggression problems. Tried to kill one dog and one cat. So now he can not come into the house at all. I do walk him everyday and he has a large fenced in back yard. He is almost 5 yrs. old. I just don't know what to do anymore and am very stressed over the situation. Any advice would be appreciated.
Hi GreatGeorge ,
Welcome to DF, please look around when you get a chance as there are many forum sections here with many knowledgeable folks to help you out.

First things first , take a deep breath and try to relax and think positive. You obviously care very much for your dog and are doing a great job. Right now this is all new and I am sure stressful for you and your dog. As you learn more about the bowel incontinence you will be able to ask your vet more informed questions about diet , supplements and things in general to help you care for your dog.

This bowel incontinence is probably a result of the surgery as I am sure you know , perhaps nerve or muscle related. Please consider the things that you can control that may help your dog firm up his stool. Thy type of food, in particular the better grades of dog food with higher protein content may help as it takes longer to digest , and probiotics may also help. Also the timing of meals and the amount of food may help your dog to have some predictable BM's. It may be necessary to try several foods and perhaps supplements to come up with something that will help your dog.

You may also consider a dogie diaper or the more creative human types with a hole cut for the tail for that time when you may need to transport you dog to the vet.
Also think about the onset of cold weather and make ready as you have time on your side.

Again welcome to DF , you may also want to post in the General Dog and Dog Health sections of DF.

Best , oldhounddog

1 - 2 of 2 Posts