Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone,

well about a week ago I adopted a border collie/husky mix and maybe a little german sheppard. she's a really great dog so far, she's very intelligent and and is really friendly to everyone. Her name is Rhoda and she's about 14 months old. i start training classes with her in about a week and a half. I dont really have a question but more a concern about some of her behaviors. I live with my parents, so I keep her in my room and in the basement of our house which is plenty big enough for her. When she is in my room (most of the time) she acts fine and is calm. When i let her out to the basement she whines a lot and acts like kind of strange. I imagine it's because she's only been here for about a week but I was just wondering your thoughts. Also, I've taken her to two of my friends houses and she acts the same way. She doesnt act like she is settled and calm, more... i dont know, not really nervous but she just keeps walking around and whining and smelling everything. She isnt hyper either, just anxious. I imagine this is something that will pass after she is use to me and has been to more places. Any thoughts would be great, this is my first dog and I want to make sure I do everything right.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i've done that once or twice, just make her lay down and as i pet her she does fine. She will be calm, but once i stop petting her, she stands up and whines. Another question i have is, is taking her to my friends houses a good thing for her? I mean taking her to different places and getting use to being around different people and homes is good for her right? making her more "well rounded" so to speak.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
can you teach her to stay? Dogs who are a bit submissive like to know what they are supposed to be doing. teach her to lay down and then stay. A submissive dog can become anxious when she is forced to think for her self and dosn't know what to do. teach her that you know whats best for her by giving her treats when she stays down and telling her what a good girl she is for being so calm. if she trys to get up after you get done petting her then just gently push her back over on her side.

Yes you defiantly should bring her lots of places (that are known to be safe places) the more positive experiences she gets away from your home the better off she will be as an adult

·
Banned
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can you teach her to stay? Dogs who are a bit submissive like to know what they are supposed to be doing. teach her to lay down and then stay. A submissive dog can become anxious when she is forced to think for her self and dosn't know what to do. teach her that you know whats best for her by giving her treats when she stays down and telling her what a good girl she is for being so calm. if she trys to get up after you get done petting her then just gently push her back over on her side.

Yes you defiantly should bring her lots of places (that are known to be safe places) the more positive experiences she gets away from your home the better off she will be as an adult
Yeah thats it! She acts like she doesnt know what to do. thanks, i will start working on this!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts