Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17,932 Posts
In most sports that require training, and this includes agility, turning onto the game takes some time. It's also part of the game. It's about building confidence and vaule and understanding in fairly complicated behavior. Almost all dogs speed up - a lot - as they gain better understanding of what's expected of them, what their job is, and of course a lot of reward history.

Dogs turn on fast to things that are... simpler and more instinct/pure play based - disc, lure coursing, dock diving - not always but if the love of disc, chase, or water is there, it's an easy thing because the reward/value is already there and there's little they need to understand about how to perform, and the behavioral chains aren't very long, unlike agility, rally, or obedience.

So, while I encourage you try to try all the things and play all the games and do all the training, because I think it's all excellent for dogs, I would also advice you kick back, relax, and wait a solid YEAR before making any decisions about whether or not your dog enjoys the game 'enough', for both rally and obedience. Rally might have more reward value inherent right now, even, because there's already some clear understanding in most of the behaviors for most dogs, but that doesn't mean it won't come with agility.

Dosen't mean it *will*, but I see way more people decide their dog doesn't like it too early (IMO) and give up and move on than ones who are trying to drag unhappy dogs through. Heck, I see more people who decide too early that the dog doesn't like it and give up than who continue on PERIOD and I'd say most of the dogs would, yeah, gain speed and enthusiasm with experience, confidence, and reward history.

(THere are dogs who turn on fast and just want to run. At that point it's very, very difficult to control, train and have them go where you want. Thoughtful is good!)

·
Registered
17,932 Posts
^All of this is also true.

There's a fun exercise called 'choose to jump' where you sort of lure the dog into doing a jump the first time or two, then wander around and reward the dog for finding and taking the jump on their own. Tends to build a lot of fun and value into it for the dogs fast.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts